INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
chrisitar

Reply with quote  #1 
If money wasn't an issue, what sitar would you purchase?

My situation is that I had a house fire and mostly everything I own was damaged, luckily I have good homeowners insurance and I can comp it all. Bottom line: time for an upgrade! I was actually thinking of replacing my 2 sitars (1 RKS from the 1960's and a 2006 student Srishti model from RainCity) with a gayaki style and a maihar style. The best of both worlds!

BTW my sitars weren't actually damaged because they were in their cases, but insurance doesn't care what you do with the compensation money.
So, my two sitars I have now are for sale. CHEAP! Inquire within!

Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "chrisitar"
If money wasn't an issue, what sitar would you purchase?

My situation is that I had a house fire and mostly everything I own was damaged, luckily I have good homeowners insurance and I can comp it all. Bottom line: time for an upgrade! I was actually thinking of replacing my 2 sitars (1 RKS from the 1960's and a 2006 student Srishti model from RainCity) with a gayaki style and a maihar style. The best of both worlds!

BTW my sitars weren't actually damaged because they were in their cases, but insurance doesn't care what you do with the compensation money.
So, my two sitars I have now are for sale. CHEAP! Inquire within!
Hmmm.... then why not design one and have one built to fit your desires?

Reply with quote  #3 
You interest me strangely, and you are within pickup range......

Will shoot you a message!

I'm a gayaki convert now so for me, I'd probably just want one really good traditional UVK style, and one really nice surbahar. Only additional instrument that would be nice (that I already own) is a travel sitar...I have one I quite like. Fancy sitar, beater travel sitar, surbahar. That would be my ideal stable, I think.
chrisitar

Reply with quote  #4 

Is this a real option? I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Reply with quote  #5 
Tony K is your man. Money being less of a concern, his unique builds typify the "dream sitar".
OM GUY

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "chrisitar"
Is this a real option? I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Tony K is your man. Money being less of a concern, his unique builds typify the "dream sitar".

That was my first thought, yes.

My second thought was maybe you can list all the attributes out on paper ( some of us old farts still use paper, you young-uns may want to use them hand held thing-a-ma-giggies ) and ask folks like Lars, and see what they suggest.

Me, I am thinking of a sitar built like those Howdy-Doody kid-guitars, one that you wind up and it plays something like "Pop Goes the Weasle" ( Or in my case, Pop goes the Old Geezer's Knee Again!)

Reply with quote  #7 
Let this talk for itself - Look at each picture and read the descriptions.

1 - http://karaseksound.com/ShowBigPic.php?ID=IMG0205

2 - http://karaseksound.com/ShowBigPic.php?ID=IMG0207

(and 3 more on the bench - OH wait till you see )

Tony will design & build you a one of a kind sitar using the finest woods, gourds without compare, rock solid joinery that goes so far beyond anything coming out of India, and inovations that brings the sitar into the 21st century.
Many of these innovations are listed in his descriptions you wil read on his site.

I have been fortunate to have been privy to what he is producing, and the thought process going into what is being produced. Many times I speak with him daily - sometimes many times a day. And all I can say is Tony has anylized everything that's right and everything that's wrong with how a sitar is made over his entire career, including having masterpieces of the sitarmakers art (even a Nodu Mullik) in pieces in his hands that allowed him to see what went into their construction, and he has taken the leap forward in the sitarmakers art. From his innovative neck joints - to sound chambers - to peg fitting - to tailpieces - from the smallest detail to the major construction - on and on and on - these sitars are a masterpiece and a delight.

Do yourself a favor - get ahold of our Sitarfixerji and start with YOUR dreams.
Tony Karasek knows how to make those dreams come true.

Brian 8)

ps: I am designing one with Tony - may take a while - but basically I could spend the same ammount and get just about ANY vintage - new - or custom instrument I want - I will ONLY order Karasek, that's where MY hard earned roops are going.
And this is no slam against any maker in India, or any of our esteemed vendors here on the forum, or the products they represent - There are a number of good ones and our vendors pick and guarantee their goods
BUT
YOU were asking about Dreams.........

(Howdy Doody indeed - how about some Buffalo Bob fringe - a Clarabell nose on each peg and picture of Howdy and Flub a Dub on the picguard - Goodbye Kids-- :wink: )

Reply with quote  #8 
Kind words and regards much appeciated ! I have a "Hello Kitty" sitar on paper but the copyright dodge would be too much. A " Pop goes the Weaselji " sitar - that has possibilities. He likes to be called "Weaselji " !

Reply with quote  #9 
Hi Tony. Really like the sitars on your website. The new features like the oval shaped nut are great. I prefer a more traditional look for sitars but I like all the new technical features. Everything that will help the playability and the tuning stability and handling of the sitar is good.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.