INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Neal

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello Abdul Latif,
Where did ya get that mizrab that you showcase in your "ID picture" icon?

Neal
Lily

Reply with quote  #2 
Dear Neal, I don't know where abdul got his but I think you will find them with Bharat at Sitars etc. Fondly, Lily
AbdulLatif

Reply with quote  #3 
UHHHH Whaaa I don't recall having an icon of a mizrab. I believes its Shah_sitarmaker?? I'd like to get me some o those also.

Reply with quote  #4 
I've tried those double braced mizrabs. A real stranglehold on the finger. The winding seemed to go too far forward and became a real slammer on the chikari strings. I also felt that my fingertip joint could bend at all with the extra wire binding around my finger. Take all that and my dismal ability to play the sitar and see for yourself. I'll look around and see if I can dredge up a pile of them. They aren't too common here maybe for the reasons I pointed out. There are also some flexwire mizrabs. These, I believe are intended for the Southie Saraswati Veena. Instead of the stiff wire on the sides, these have a semicircle of wound wire and flexible. Totally comfortable but not as stable. They serve best when rotated 90 degrees and wedged under the fingernail corners. Down strokes only !!!

Reply with quote  #5 
Yes, somebody sent me one of those (Tony?) and it really stayed put, which was the cool part of it. But, as you said, it didn't let you bend your finger and felt really restrictive. I too found myself almost breaking chikasris trying to do jhalla with it. An interesting idea but I think if they were all that great we'd see the real masters using them. For me, over the years, the trick has been getting mizrabs that fit perfectly just beyond the first joint- not too big and not too short. I have probably bought a couple of dozen and ended up with 3 that were great for me! I would take needle nose pliers and squeeze them to make them as tight and painful as possible so the callous would build up quickly. Oncwe you get that callous or groove going the mizrab stops moving around on you. I guard the ones i have now with my life!
festus

Reply with quote  #6 
It's so much easier to make your own..... I've straightend out paper clips and made some great mizrabs , no big deal, very easy.......38 years ago you had to make your own and they're better because you make them to fit you. :wink:
TK

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "festus"
...I've straightend out paper clips and made some great mizrabs...
Festus - are you smoking that Kentucky bluegrass again?

festus

Reply with quote  #8 
In a pinch we make do, don't we? :wink:
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #9 
For years I had to make my mizrabs from SPIRAL NOTEBOOK wire. The stuff is great once you figure out the trick for getting the bends and lengths just right. Necessity da mudda and all dat.

Reply with quote  #10 
You get a righteous amen brother :wink:
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.