INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
pbercker

Reply with quote  #1 
Don Cherry / Latif Khan ‎- Sangam - tabla solo

(an extraordinary tabla solo I must say!)

U. latif Ahmed Khan needs no introduction, but the late Jazz musician Don Cherry probably does (he certainly was unknown to me):
Quote:
Donald Eugene Cherry (November 18, 1936 – October 19, 1995) was an innovative African-American jazz trumpetist whose career began with a long association with saxophonist Ornette Coleman. He went on to live in many parts of the world and work with a wide variety of musicians. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Cherry_(musician)
He took an interest in world music fusion in the 70s and went to Europe, France in particular where he met U. Latif Ahmed Khan and produced a vinyl LP called Sangam, featuring a lengthy tabla solo with Don Cherry playing lehara on the organ!

At about minute 6:00 begins an extraordinary and lengthy display of bayan control and modulation the likes of which I have seldom heard before.

(a bit of trivia: U. LAK became a disciple of Ustad Gameh Khan, the Khalifa of the Dehli gharana, when he was 7 years old. When U. Gameh Khan Died, he was still in need of a guru and U. Thirakwa offered to take him on as his disciple, but U. LAK declined the offer, preferring to continue his education with Inam Ali Khan, the son of Gameh Khan, out of loyalty to his first guru. ... this is quite possibly a decision he later came to regret since several years later he had a falling out with U. Inam Ali Khan, though they eventually reconciled. I don't the details of this falling out, so if anyone has further information, I would love to know more)

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
mangataot

Reply with quote  #2 
This is an amazing solo.
It's also slightly sharp in tuning ..thought I'd point that out seeing as we felt the need to point it out for Gurdain's clip..
Don Cherry is Neneh Cherry 's dad I do believe.
Neneh Cherry has appeared on recordings with Trilok Gurtu (as has Don Cherry).. One very famous and great track is 'Cherry Town' which became 'Ganapati' when she appeared on a later version. This is fusion ...but the good stuff.. Fusion at its best IMHO.
M.

Try them out at Tablalab.com
http://www.mecaudio.co.uk
pbercker

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "mangataot"
This is an amazing solo.
It's also slightly sharp in tuning ..thought I'd point that out seeing as we felt the need to point it out for Gurdain's clip..
Don Cherry is Neneh Cherry 's dad I do believe.
Neneh Cherry has appeared on recordings with Trilok Gurtu.. One very famous and great track is 'Cherry Town'
M.
I've not heard of Nene Cherry before, so I had to look it up on wikipedia ...
Quote:
Her stepfather Don Cherry, an American jazz musician, helped raise her since birth and she took his surname
U. Latif Ahmed Khan is by far and away my favorite tabla player of all - an absolutely unique and lyrical style to my ears. I've posted this peshkar by him before but it's worth posting again .... it absolutely stunned me when I first heard it. Notice that he doesn't not follow the convention of introducing theme first ... instead he freely improvises for about three minutes only hinting at the theme ... and then introduces the theme (I've put it on the video) and then plays variations. (I've got it almost fully transcribed ... will be posting that soon I hope).

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.