INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Sign up Calendar Latest Topics Chat
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
TobiasThygesen

Registered:
Posts: 3
Reply with quote  #1 
Hey, im thinkin about buying a sitar. i already have a cheap one (200 $ i bought in varanasi), but i would like a slightly better one thats not to expensive, so i found this site:

http://bhargavasmusic.com/indian/string/sitar.html

does anyone know anything about them? the price is around 650 $ for the full decorated without fibercase or anything.

i hope you can help me

Tobias Thygesen
0
cwroyds

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 2,223
Reply with quote  #2 
In my opinion Bargava & Co. sitars are crap.
My first sitar is a Bargava & Co. and it is absolutely useless as an instrument.
After my first lesson I realized that I would not be able to learn on it, so I bought my second sitar a week after the first.
If you could get one for $200 it might work well as a door stop, but $600 is WAY too high.
My humble opinion is that you do NOT want to buy one of those.

Where do you live?
If you are in the USA, you can get a much better instrument for a little more.
CHeck out these two shops.
They are trusted and deliver a good instrument for the price that is set up and ready to play.

http://www.aacmstore.org
Or
http://www.raincitymusic.com

Many people on this forum have purchased their sitars from these stores, and we trust them.
Plus I think Lars at Rain City Music is still giving away free Fiberglass hard cases with every sitar.
My personal opinion is that if you want a really nice players sitar, spend a little bit more.
You dont have to spend thousands to get a good sitar, but the middle priced ones will be a better bet than the low end ones.
0
OM GUY

Registered:
Posts: 841
Reply with quote  #3 
Tobias Thygesen,

I echo cwroyds remarks.

I applaud your making the effort to come here and ask. Countless people have purchased their share of firewood or wall-hangers, so if we can at all prevent that from happening, well,.... good people are here to help.

Save your $600.00, and invest perhaps a little more savings, to purchase a really good one. I've dealt with Lar's at Rain City almost exclusively, but we hear many good things from AACM in San Francisco, too.

cwroyds is correct, Lar's has free cases at the moment, plus some lower priced Srishti's, of which I have 3 and they are all absolutely sweet. You just need to speak with him ( he's away at the moment) and tell him the sound you are looking for.

Good luck!!

__________________
Let's hope 2016 is less violent and that people discover the soothing influence of ICM. Hari OM!
0
Ramesh

Avatar / Picture

Member
Registered:
Posts: 70
Reply with quote  #4 
Tobias,
Namaste.I agree witht the respected forum members above.With 650$ or a little more you can get a quality sitar from trusted and honored sellers like Raincity music,AACM, or Keshav music in NYC.I would personally recommend Raincity music.

Also,try to know exactly what you want in/for a sitar.Is it GP(Vilayat Khan) or KP(Ravi Shankar) model?Single or double tumba(gourd).Do you want Tun or Teak wood?What bridge material do you want?(ebony,deer horn,etc).Do you want your jawari(bridge) open or close?What kind of finish do you want?(lacquer or shellac) Etc etc.Lars of Raincity music can answer all of these for you.And yes with the free fiberglass case its a bargain!

__________________
"If in every home one child was taught Hindustani classical music this country would never have been partitioned."-Bade Ghulam Ali Khan
0
Bakersbites786

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 302
Reply with quote  #5 
I also agree in repect to Lars. Top man. You won't go wrong with him.
0
niyaz

Registered:
Posts: 3
Reply with quote  #6 
if u want the sitar we can make this sitar for you


for any type of information please visit our site

http://www.bmsitarmaker.com

b.m.sitarmaker miraj

[the sitar which ustaad shahid pervej is right now using is made by us(b m sitarmaker)]

u can see those pics on our site
0
OM GUY

Registered:
Posts: 841
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "niyaz"
if u want the sitar we can make this sitar for you


for any type of information please visit our site

http://www.bmsitarmaker.com

b.m.sitarmaker miraj

[the sitar which ustaad shahid pervej is right now using is made by us(b m sitarmaker)]

u can see those pics on our site
Ah yes, BM, to be sure... I can attest to that, since I have 5 Bashir's in my stable... But they don't come cheap, that's for sure....and they are quality instruments.... :!:

__________________
Let's hope 2016 is less violent and that people discover the soothing influence of ICM. Hari OM!
0
TobiasThygesen

Registered:
Posts: 3
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "cwroyds"
In my opinion Bargava & Co. sitars are crap.
My first sitar is a Bargava & Co. and it is absolutely useless as an instrument.
After my first lesson I realized that I would not be able to learn on it, so I bought my second sitar a week after the first.
If you could get one for $200 it might work well as a door stop, but $600 is WAY too high.
My humble opinion is that you do NOT want to buy one of those.

Where do you live?
If you are in the USA, you can get a much better instrument for a little more.
CHeck out these two shops.
They are trusted and deliver a good instrument for the price that is set up and ready to play.

http://www.aacmstore.org
Or
http://www.raincitymusic.com

Many people on this forum have purchased their sitars from these stores, and we trust them.
Plus I think Lars at Rain City Music is still giving away free Fiberglass hard cases with every sitar.
My personal opinion is that if you want a really nice players sitar, spend a little bit more.
You dont have to spend thousands to get a good sitar, but the middle priced ones will be a better bet than the low end ones.
Hey, thank you very much for your reply. im from denmark and live here, but i can see on the websites you gave me, that its possible to ship the sitars. i like the links, it seems like they have some really nice sitars. im thinkin about the radha krishna sharma # 3. would that be an okay choice for me who likes sitar, but is still in the biginning face? thx.
0
cwroyds

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 2,223
Reply with quote  #9 
If you are in Denmark, you might want to check out this german website.
http://www.india-instruments.de/index_e.html

I dont know anything about them, but they seem to have some nice sitars.
It might cost less to ship to Denmark from Germany.
Check out their Monoj Kumar Sardar sitars or their P & Brothers models.

As for the RKS #3, I dont know the sitar specifically, but you might want to save for a better instrument.
A sitar might be OK for a beginner, but as you progress you will need a better sitar sooner than if you bought a better instrument from the start. A lot of the mid-level sitars are good enough to take you a long way in your learning.
0
CheesecakeTomek

Registered:
Posts: 513
Reply with quote  #10 
I played the RKS #3 when I first began playing sitar, and while these are certainly a step up from Bhargava, they are only suitable for beginners and you would want to upgrade as soon as possible if you decide to study sitar long-term.
0
TobiasThygesen

Registered:
Posts: 3
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Ramesh"
Tobias,
Namaste.I agree witht the respected forum members above.With 650$ or a little more you can get a quality sitar from trusted and honored sellers like Raincity music,AACM, or Keshav music in NYC.I would personally recommend Raincity music.

Also,try to know exactly what you want in/for a sitar.Is it GP(Vilayat Khan) or KP(Ravi Shankar) model?Single or double tumba(gourd).Do you want Tun or Teak wood?What bridge material do you want?(ebony,deer horn,etc).Do you want your jawari(bridge) open or close?What kind of finish do you want?(lacquer or shellac) Etc etc.Lars of Raincity music can answer all of these for you.And yes with the free fiberglass case its a bargain!
Thank you very much. i will look around the site
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.