INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
randyh

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi,

I was wondering about the tuning dynamic of a string that is the tuned higher but is the same length such as G instead of F#. The middle would be same I guess but it seems like the frets might still need adjustment. I'm hoping someone can help explain this to me. Thanks.

Randy
Sillofthedoor

Reply with quote  #2 
No changes necessary, the notes are based on divisions of the string length 1/2's, 1/3's, 1/4's, etc and no matter how tight the string the division of its length is still the same.

How ever there is some stretch to the string when pushing it down to meet the fret and I think the change in tune caused by that varies according to how high the tension is (can anyone confirm or deny this?), but this change would be too small to measure in terms of a change from Fsharp to G.
yussef ali k

Reply with quote  #3 
Hi all,
Hope life's good.

Randy,

I made the experience of substituting the normal gauge 1st string w/ a MUCH thicker one & the conclusion - for now, as I am still experimenting - is that relocation of the main bridge is needed, & then same w/ frets.
This in a normal sitar ... if THAT exists! :roll:

Have fun (& report to HQ),

Y.
barend

Reply with quote  #4 
When you go from C# to D you don't have to re position the frets or the bridge in my experience. Tension in D is obviously tighter. You will notice this mostly on the main string. Therefor I use a 011 string instead of a 012 when I tune to D. You then have the same 'meend tension' as a sitar in C# with a 012 string. I don't like the high tension of the 012 when tuned to D.

When you tune to D the maximum meend range (pulled all the way to the edge of the neck) decreases a little. Not because of your hand strength but because there is no more room on the neck. If you want to the same meend range in D you will need a shorter neck or scale length. But most sitars don't have that unfortunately.
yussef ali k

Reply with quote  #5 
Hi all,

I should have made clear that (concerning my above write) the sitar (strung w/ steel 0.275 -.300 which I believe to be standard) went to a .475 & so Sa went down from C# to Low E, 1 8ve below the guitar Low-E ( w/ all other strs but some taraf also thicker including a 1,2 thick brass kharaj).

It is possible to pull 8 frets up & it still has room to go (although a previous attempt had snapped).

Some bridge + nut slots had to be enlarged.

It's been like that for 5+ yrs now , no sign of upbow neck as of yet, but someday it'll be back to standard or close, I figure.
I said I would report here when I feel I'm done w/ this.

The reason for all the mess was the SM Tagore quote comparing the Surbahar to the Kachua sitar (Miner, Sitar & Sarod in ... book).
Tuning accuracy problems can be dealt with in riyaz, but I wouldn't recommend it for gigs. It's probably doable if 1 lives close to a builder.

Have fun,
Y.
randyh

Reply with quote  #6 
Yes,

Why is it that there is less of a meend range with a tighter string? It seems like it should be the same but it clearly not (ie Kharaj strings and such). What is the science behind that?
yussef ali k

Reply with quote  #7 
Hi all,

Randy,

Although I think your last write wasn't intended for me, Let me add:

I think you'll agree that the thicker string needs less fret-length to reach a note by meend, but more force, the thinner needs more space though less force, ... space which often isn't there when you use an 11 to tune to Sa=D on a norm ... - Ooops! sitar.

I guess Meend range depends chiefly on

String Material (steel for the main string)
Its gauge
Active Length = from nut to bridge
Note freq to which it is tuned.

Then there are the particular inst features, like
Nut & bridge slots positions, fret profile & length etc.

Also, go for the back stuff in this forum,as it has been discussed before.

& ... You may also do this:

Take that sitar,remove the bronze #2 string & put a steel 11 there & keep the 12 in its slot as 1st string,:
Start w/ both at Sa=C#:
Meend & Re-meend (the thinner has more room),
tune both above & below ... have at it !!!

Have fun, do your backstuff reading & then report back here svp for all that 'sci involved'

Y.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.