INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 4 of 8      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   Next   »
pepperman

Reply with quote  #46 
I like the twist in the story, it ends up being an ad for Ayub.
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #47 
" To sitár je nejlepší nástroj pochází z Sitarmaker RA. Gratulujeme! Jsem tak šťastný, pro vás oba "! I find it interesting to see how much of my lifted blue book made it onto this sitar. The bass block, the bird head taraf tail post on the extra wide sandwich tail piece, the double slotted chikari post ( nicely modeled after the posts on Kanai Lal Rudra Veenas ), the upper tumba bracket with hidden screws ( wood screws now, not the previous sheet metal screws ) - all fitted to bring this sitar up to it highest potential. It looks like Ayub really went to town to cover his ass on this one knowing what's at stake here. Clearly, this is the finest carving I've seen from his hands. Thick and clean work everywhere. Really nice job ! The color and finish work is outstanding. That gourd is superb ! The taraf pegs are also highest quality. Interesting, the all black pick guard. Congrats on finally receiving your new baby. It is most unfortunate but not all that surprizing that you had to endure such grief and hassle in order to receive this magnificent instrument. I'm glad that the contributors on the forum had a hand in getting it all sorted out. Hope the upper tumba issue follows the same path and on the fast lane. Beautiful sitar ! ! ! " Nejkrásnější! Triple liška " !

Reply with quote  #48 
Certainly been worth the wait I'd say. It's an stunning looking sitar. Love the finish. Is that an oil finish?
Are those langotes better than the brass ones or are they just an artistic feature? I really wanted one on my new sitar, but was told their not as durable. Can someone comment please? Also the tarab spacers at the top are they just a bit bone/plastic pegged in like chickari posts.
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #49 
The brass tail pieces are certainly durable. Look at them closely. They are often thin so as to more easily conform to the shape of the tumba where it sits on the sitar. One screw ( sheet metal screw usually ) along with the taraf string post holds it on with all the strings keeping it there. Often there is plenty of daylight between the brass plate and the gourd. The brass unit is narrow giving the Ma string duckie and second string tuning bead zero shoulder room. The brass unit also features rough casting especially on the main string tabs. Aside from the narrowness of these tabs, the sharp corners often cut into the string loops causing them to break. The tailpiece as illustrated on this sitar is much wider than the brass versions. Tuning beads have space to move. The larger surface area (glued and pinned) along with the screw and post provides ample secure holding power. The cross grain bone bits on the main string tabs will not get sliced through by string loops as is often the case on the one piece deer horn tail pieces. This tail piece, the one illustrated, is in my opinion the best way to go for a tab type system. It's fuctions are fully implimented in this configuration.

Reply with quote  #50 
By the way, I was just talking with Nomenclature - Shai: Wife Type: 1 each. She is telling me that the term "Langot" denotes a version of a 'Dhoti' that's tied up in front in leau of underwear !

Reply with quote  #51 
Hi all,
thank you for your kind words, surely this is fine instrument. I was afraid I would not be able to love it, cause there was such an ugly situation with it. But as it arrives it was completely different ... I did not care time, I did not care some imperfections nor the stress I have to undergo ... Maybe it was really arranged by that Someone to give me chance to find out it means really something to have such an instrument, that it is not an ordinary one which you only easily order - pay - get and play. Just to be more clear, besides that retied pardas I also sealed the tant knots and cut out those cat wiskers I do not like I also polished all the frets with nr. 0000 steel wool and have finished the hand double post a little more ... maybe some more minor touches like the larajkharaj hook etc. But surely, 99,999% credit for the work goes to Ayub. As for the carving: there are some uncarved edges on some pattas on thumba, leaving a plain wooden edge, but not on too much places. What goes to finish: I am not sure. I think it is made in this recently discussed maha maha big kali-yuga demon called polyurethane ... if so, I do not mind. Being half matte it looks like vintage instrument and honestly I do not hear any major influence on the sound compared to the shellac ones I had in past ... just my opinion.

PS: Accurate! There is this torturing loincloth for brahmacharis and sanyasis worn under dhoti called kopen/kaupina. It has its counterpart for women called langot or langoti It is traditional vedic underwear worn under sari and underskirt. However in some states (or regions) the terms are changed one to each other or they are using only one word for both male and female variant.
Jan
povster

Reply with quote  #52 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Sitarfixer"
By the way, I was just talking with Nomenclature - Shai: Wife Type: 1 each. She is telling me that the term "Langot" denotes a version of a 'Dhoti' that's tied up in front in leau of underwear !
Knowing this definition of "langot" always made me feel a little silly using it. But then again, "tail piece" is also kind of ops: . I kind of like "that thing on the bottom of the instrument where you loop the strings on."

nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #53 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "povster"
But then again, "tail piece" is also kind of ops: "
I suppose "Piece of tail" isn't much of an improvement on that!
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #54 
I suppose "Butt End" wouldn't help much either.

Reply with quote  #55 
"String Termination Point" for the politically fearful.

Reply with quote  #56 
Quote:
I suppose "Butt End" wouldn't help much either.

Quote:
"String Termination Point" for the politically fearful.
Well, TK, the problem with that one is two-fold, at least. For the peaceful ones, the word "termination" may cause offense. For the more math/physics types, a point is not a thing but a place which has no physical dimension.

How about we call it a "statiophonic oxyogenetic amplifier graphaphoner delaverberator"???

coyootie

Reply with quote  #57 
and after all the nonsense you went through, the "guy in the shop" sent the wrong tumba. that is also classical Indian BS, they just sent whatever they had on hand. as i noted before, I have NEVER had a transaction from India where everything was followed through 100%.
bad packaging, shortage, breakage , wrong paperwork, wrong color, wrong size, a year delay, you name it.but ultimately it does look like a well made and pretty instrument- may you have a lifetime of contentment with it!
yak.a.co

Reply with quote  #58 
Hey Coyootie,
do not even mention word paperwork to me, ha It was another nightmare. Yeas, after all this I went through the instrument was in my country - actualy the second day after leaving Pune, but with insufficient documentation. Do not really want to count how inadequate time I spent on solving it and geting it to my very hands, not just to my country ... uuu ... yes, India ... everything as you said. It seems the other specialty they really enjoy doing is to send the fiber cases without any wrapping, even without a single layer of bubble-foil. So, on one hand it is Nirmal for free, on the other quite gorgeously decorated by al the transportation, nearly a full carved model, ha Hope I will play it a couple of decades, I pray it will not lost its sound too quickly ...
Jan
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #59 
I have to say that is a unequivocally beautiful instrument!!! The satin finish, the carving, lots of the aesthetic details....I've heard some horror stories revolving around this particular maker, but I've also seen some exceptionally beautiful instruments too...I am glad that Tony's influences and innovations with them haven't died out completely. And my studio sitar is from their shop and while perhaps less finely detailed in aesthetics, it remains a great sounding and playing instrument.

Hopefully all's well that ends well....you finally have your instrument, which appears to be worth waiting for to some extent, and hopefully RA Sitarmaker has been influenced by the reaction of our little community to perhaps be more responsive to customers in the future. As said, he's done some fine sitar work, I would love for his company to jump back and shed its more recent bad reputation.
mahadev

Reply with quote  #60 
Hi folks,

sorry for absence, no internet, no power, heavy rain here in the Himalayas.
Will get back to the polyurethane thread shortly.

Just a few thoughts on some of the comments here.
I have spent about 25 years in India to date. That is half of my life. I went through all the stages of 'cultural adjustment' and came out the other end.
Tony, 6 years is not enough. Nowhere near. First you love India, then you hate it and then you love it again. I also went through this " Indians are all corrupt and crazy etc' stage. But some inner voice always told me, hang in there, you haven't got the big picture yet.
If you stay long enough you will love this country forever. Maybe its just me or I just got lucky. I dunno.
For me the bottom line is this. The amount of goodwill, welcoming spirit, helpfulness, generosity and love I have experienced in this country is beyond belief. Really, unbelievable, incredible, incredible India. Just thinking about it makes my head spin.Nowhere else on this planet could I have done what I have done here. People have helped me not for money or gain of any kind, simply out of the goodness of their hearts . A million times and more.
With every year I have spent here my respect for India and her people has increased. No, I don't wear blinkers and I don't live in an ivory tower. I see everything that is wrong here and there are many things wrong but India will solve her problems. My belief in the future of this country is unshakable.
I love this country. What I owe to India I can never pay back. Maybe I can pay something back some day to some of the people who have helped me . As for the others all I can do is to go to Kanyakumari and prostrate myself on the last rock of India and say thank you.
Really, I mean it.

Some day, before I keel over, I will have to write a book. A big book.

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.