INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
pepperman

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello, could someone please tell me what is the appropriate distance the strings should be from the frets on a surb. After a season or two, I went back to my surb and something felt wrong, the bridge looked high, the effort to bring those strings down was somehow exagerated… I am in doubt…

Pepper
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #2 
Amusing coincidence, and perhaps you can learn from my example...I can't answer your question authoritatively but if you try to lower your bridge please DO PROCEED WITH CAUTION. This afternoon I spent some time working on fitting my new delrin bridge to my surbahar, and sanding/sanding/sanding to get the fit just right...eventually I think I lowered it too much, the blasted thing now has a vicious fret buzz on low sa. I admitted defeat and the old bone bridge went back on for now, until the Esteemed Tony K who birthed the bridge may chance to the midwest to fix my screwup!

Anyway, width of the little finger is the most common test I've heard (from last fret to Ma string) for proper string height...obviously that is variable and I bet it varies from instrument to instrument anyway!
fossesitar

Reply with quote  #3 
It sounds like your neck has warped or your neck joint is giving way. Might be wise to check these before altering the bridge. String height on surb is and must be greater than sitar due to the longer scale length of the surb. As NicNue experienced, one way to determine string height is by going too low!! If you want to expiriment without altering your current bridge just make a "jawari-less" temp bridge from wood and try adjusting to different heights. You will learn when and where buzz starts to occur. Go up until buzz is completely gone. To allow for several jawari filings (you should if you have a bone bridge) you must go a little higher still. And check out your neck and/or neck joint.
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #4 
Nic
How were the rest of the strings though?

Nick
pepperman

Reply with quote  #5 
Thank you dear friends for your attention,

The main string is 16mm from the high Sa fret, which for a sitar would be high (I believe it should be around 12mm) and it feels high. The Lharaj string runs a little lower and may rattle soon if lowered more . The neck joint is OK and the neck itself seems straight. The tone of the instrument is more or less correct, but the playing is unconfortable. So it is not a dramatic situation, but the question stays.
Pepper
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "trippy
Nic
How were the rest of the strings though?

Nick
Not too bad...I had no problems with meend range or string buzz otherwise...maybe a bit on pa too. Original bridge is back on for now, which sounds pretty good.
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #7 
Lesson learnt???

Nick
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.