INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Kirya

Reply with quote  #1 
Deepak Raja seems to have found a way to talk about Raga in way that few others can in English -- and in many ways talking about Raga is like talking about eating or sex or anything that can really only be properly communicated experientially.

But I thought this was very interesting:
Quote:
Several years ago, a Western scholar, intrigued by the Raga phenomenon, had asked me a question: – “Does the Raga exist? And, if so, where?” Having lived and worked with Raga-s for almost six decades, I am attracted to the idea that a Raga is an archetypal entity in the Jungian sense. Though this direction of speculation continues to engage my mind, I prefer, for now, to use more familiar linguistic analogies.

A Raga, indeed, exists as definitely as a language exists. By the same analogy, the Raga does not reside either in treatises on Raga grammar or in any document that claims to be a lexicon of Ragas. Like a language, the Raga exists in the collective memory of the community, as a set of associations related to specific sound patterns. As a cultural force – and like a language – it is shaped by usage, and in turn, governs usage. We may say that the Raga resides in its performance, which, in turn, shapes the Raga.

Since each performance is shaped by the interaction between the musician and his audience, the repository of Raga-ness in the collective memory is constantly shuffling and reshuffling its inventory of melodic images to keep the aesthetic resources of the Raga perennially relevant.
You can read the rest here:

Neuroscience and Hindustani music : http://swaratala.blogspot.com/2015/04/neuroscience-and-hindustani-music.html

This also has interesting anecdotes involving UVK

Also very interesting interview on learning Indian music -- http://swaratala.blogspot.com/2015/04/the-place-of-hindustani-art-music-in_9.html

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.