INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Aanaddha

Reply with quote  #1 
Possibilities for additional discussion (?):

http://www.indiamusicforum.com/seminar/trad/trad15.htm

Thanks to BobK + Ragamala for the link!

Reply with quote  #2 
Credit where credit's due - this was actually at BobK's prompting!
sohummusicals

Reply with quote  #3 
Nice Discussion

--

Upendra
Aanaddha

Reply with quote  #4 
"Riyaz" by Pandit Suresh Talwalkar and Zakir Hussain:

http://www.indiamusicforum.com/seminar/riyaz/riyaz14.htm

http://www.indiamusicforum.com/seminar/riyaz/riyaz22.htm

Reply with quote  #5 
A related link I posted in general discussions for those who haven't seen it:

http://www.pathcom.com/~ericp/bansuri11simms.pdf

Reply with quote  #6 
No replies; no new messages...hmmm; these articles must've inspired everyone to improve their riyaz... yes!?! :wink:

Reply with quote  #7 
i just read them both. i didn't like zakirji's speech on riyaz. the whole "it's different for everyone" bit is so useless, how is anyone supposed to learn anything from that? he was speaking in generalities and moving off topic. i would have been a little annoyed if i'd been sitting in the audience.

suresh talwalkar's article was quite good. i like how he broke up the stages of riyaz. it seems like repetition is more important than i had thought. i sometimes tend to get impatient when i practice - i'll switch to a new composition after 10-15 minutes. looks like i'll have to change my routine a bit, i hope it pays off.

what are your thoughts, A? let's get some discussion going.

-r
Olemunati

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "rapture"
i just read them both. i didn't like zakirji's speech on riyaz. the whole "it's different for everyone" bit is so useless, how is anyone supposed to learn anything from that?

-r
Hi rapture!

I interpret this annoyence of yours as a very keen willingness to learn as much as possible about tabla.

I liked Zakir's speech here. He talks about the importance of adding a new dimension in your practicing by pretending there are people listening. VERY IMPORTANT!!

He also talks about practicing performing.

Maybe he could eloborate on this, but after all this is very private stuff. Bu he probably sits down and actually pretendends that he plays conserts. Just like a child would do it.

The burning candle idea is pretty good! I am trying that one to night!

Reply with quote  #9 
I have a feeling the players who talk a lot about riyaz aren't very good at it and the players who do riyaz regularly don't talk much about it.

Myself, I think the biggest hurdle is building riyaz into your daily routine; 15 min., 30 min,; an hour,: two hours or more - it's doing it every day - like eating, sleeping, taking a shower, or a bad habit
that makes the difference.[/b] - More so than what you practice.

I've got so much material to practice that's never a problem. Being patient with repetition is a problem (that and recitation.). I like Sureshji's quote from Pt. Vishnu Digambar Paluskar, "one can memorize a palta by repeating it a hundred times, after three hundred repetitions that palta can never be forgotten in one's life. But, it is only after five hundred repetitions that the palta begins to acquire magnificence and lustre". That's the key, and that's where the time spent with riyaz ought to be focused, not with learning more and more material. Seriously, the masters really only excelled in two or three forms, even though they were capable of much more.
I still don't like the sound of my 'Delhi kaida' even after a decade of practice but it's improving and the nagma machine with the built-in metronome is helping. I also became aware recently that if I can completely absorb the theme of a composition (repetition) the paltas, the variations make themselves.
Teachers don't generally demand riyaz from students knowing that for the most part they're lucky if the student practices a couple times a week and it's a good way to weed out mediocre and uninspired students. It is also true that teachers are more prone to help students that exceed their expectations. Bottom line, riyaz is your responsibility and to your advantage beyond the most apparent benefits.

(btw - I had a talk with some friends of mine recently who pointed out Zakirji's stylistic and material debt to the great Nizamuddin Khansaheb. Does anyone know if Zakir has ever mentioned this publicly or privately? Has anyone else noticed?)
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.