INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
mister_hatter

Reply with quote  #1 
So I recently found out that my sitar has got dirt or loose wood shavings or something inside the body. I could hear it rattling around when I would turn the sitar over. Is this normal? Does anyone else have this issue? And is there a way to remedy it or should I just ignore it?
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #2 
Most sitars have bits and pieces hanging out in the body.
Most are just dried bits that fell off of the inside of the Gourd or are wood shavings left over from construction and drilling peg holes, etc..
They are completely harmless and do not cause mischief.

If you want to try to remove them you can point the headstock towards the ground and shake them down the inside of the neck until they can fall out of the upper toomba hole on the back of the neck.
I would only do this when all the strings are off when you are changing strings.
Other wise you can get bits of wood/dust stuck in your sympathetic strings that run inside the neck.
I suggest leaving them where they are.
They really do not hurt anything.
mister_hatter

Reply with quote  #3 
Well if they aren't hurting anything...(couldn't shake them out through the neck, cause I dont have an upper tumba hole) Thanks!
povster

Reply with quote  #4 
Yes, rather normal and no harm. I remember and old post here where the buyer said that the person who sold the sitar told them it was like a maraca for extra rhythm or some such foolishness. But it is nothing to worry about.
OM GUY

Reply with quote  #5 
Not to worry, it's India's version of an Aztec "rain stick"....

Reply with quote  #6 
That's funny! My pumpkin sounds like its a little gritty in there! Now I'll stop worrying about it :mrgreen:
fairyanna

Reply with quote  #7 
I will be moving to Seattle in 2 months, I may have to check that out,thanks.
Our excellent online 640-461 training programs will lead you to success in the ccna voice book We also offer latest ccnp security lab and http://www.principiacollege.edu with 100% success University of New Haven good luck.

Reply with quote  #8 
No upper tumba hole - no problem. Go ahead and lightly shake the sitar with gourd up and pegs down. You'll hear that rain stick effect as all the bits of wood, possible broken bone bits, the occasional needle file tip and other door #3 treasures come a tumblin' down the neck. Pegs and strings can get in the way but keep shakin' all over and they will eventually get down to the end of the neck. Repeat as necessary. Take out the #3 main peg, #4 wouldn't hurt either. Hold the sitar so the peg hole/s are over a trash can. Start that shake thing again and change the neck angle so that the goodies inside can line up with those peg holes and pour out of the neck. You will probably need to change the neck angle a few times to get the goodies back to the neck end for another try. In a minute or two the rattles will stop and the loose bits will be in the trash. Fun stuff !
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.