INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Ajit

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi All,

Is there anyone on this forum who plays Dilruba and stays in France? If yes, which region are you in? Perhaps it is possible to meet somewhere?!

J'habite

Gyurme

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Ajit
I reckon there must be someone in your part of France playing a dilruba or esraj, if there is a Sikh community anywhere near you try contacting them, these instuments are commonly played within the Sikh community. Maybe in Paris? I am also learning dilruba, and have come across some players in an area of London called Southall, which has a high concentration of Muslims, Hindus and Sikhs, and Indian music stores, including Bina and Jas.It's the closest think to being in Delhi without leaving London! I went down in Southall not long ago and had a well known Sikh player of sarangi and dilruba, Surjeet Singh, help set up my dilruba and I also bought a bow from him. If you can't find anyone in France near you, maybe a day trip from France to London on to Southall?
Ajit

Reply with quote  #3 
Hi Matthew,

Thanks for your reply and suggestions. Indeed it is a good idea to go and look for a Gurudwara. I will need to do some searching in Paris. Paris has a large Indian community, but that is mostly consisting of immigrants from the southern India and Sri Lanka. And they are not really into playing the Dilruba.

Also, your advice to visit Southall is great! I love that area, and as you said, it reminds you of Delhi (I was born and stayed there for the first 11 years). Moreover, I know Jas Musicals and their owners, Kamal and Harjeet Singh. Very nice people. I bought a harmonium from them last year and it was really nice of them to have taken their time to explain to me the details and the differences between the various instruments they had. I just called their shop yesterday to know how things were, and whether everything was ok, as there are these miscreants creating social problems and destroying material properties in London and other cities. I hope the situation comes to normal soon.

Thanks and warm regards
Ajit

eaudelune

Reply with quote  #4 
coucou je m'apelle sheila, et je me suis mise
Ajit

Reply with quote  #5 
Coucou Sheila,
C'est super de savoir qu' il y a qqun qui joue le dilruba en France et finalement pas tres loin de chez moi. Si vous (toi et ton mari) sont dans mon coin (pres de Caen) faites moi signe.. On pourra se voir et peut-etre meme jouer cet instrument ensemble. Vous habitez ou en bretagne?

A bientot
Ajit

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.