INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
assingh

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello Friends,

We all know that Tabla practice requires lots of strengths. Do you follow any special diet for the strength in your body. I know many Tabla players enjoy almond shakes. I thought of starting this thread to discuss this on this forum. Please feel free to share your knowledge.

Regards,
pbercker

Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "assingh"
Hello Friends,

We all know that Tabla practice requires lots of strengths. Do you follow any special diet for the strength in your body. I know many Tabla players enjoy almond shakes. I thought of starting this thread to discuss this on this forum. Please feel free to share your knowledge.

Regards,
While strength is very important, we might slightly emphasize the need for speed over strength (without neglecting strength). The expert tabla player has probably a bit more in common with a sprint runner than a weight lifter (though a 5k distance runner might be more apt). To that end, the tabla player needs to develop and nourish fast twitch muscles. These provide (relatively short) bursts of speed while slower twitch muscles (type 1) provide endurance and uses mostly oxygen for energy. There are actually two types of fast twitch muscles - type 2a and 2b. Fast twitch muscles type 2a is strictly short burst high speed and uses glycogen (and very little oxygen) for its energy and is exhausted very quickly. Type 2b fast twitch muscles provide somewhat less speed for longer period of time, and uses both glycogen and oxygen for its energy, but eventually get exhausted before the slower twitch muscles. It's worth noticing that weight lifter and body builders actually concentrate on exercises that build fast twitch muscles, as these are the muscles that provide the body mass as well as the short burst of strength for lifting.

But regardless of what types of muscles are exercised, all muscles need protein to repair themselves during the long recovery period (hence the need for a good 8 hour sleep!) From that point of view, an almond shake is quite a good sources of protein.

If I had to guess, I would guess that of the three muscle types, expert tabla players may well have an abundance of type 2b (faster than type 1, slower than type 2a, but provides for both speed and endurance). If that's correct, it would seem important to come up with exercises that maximize their potential (and a diet to complement that).

Pascal
p.s. Keep in mind that I'm ultimately only regurgitating (after some digestion) a bit of google research!

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
TablaBeatz

Reply with quote  #3 
I don't know for what it's worth, but:
- My teacher was a strict vegetarian
- I saw an interview with Zakir where he said he makes a tasty chicken curry - so I'm guessing he's not vegetarian

Anyone else with more insights on this??

"The beginning of life is rhythm. When you’re in the womb your mother’s heart is beating at (about 90) decibels ... we were born of vibration 13.7 billion years ago with the explosion of the universe."
pbercker

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "TablaBeatz"
I don't know for what it's worth, but:
- My teacher was a strict vegetarian
- I saw an interview with Zakir where he said he makes a tasty chicken curry - so I'm guessing he's not vegetarian

Anyone else with more insights on this??
... maybe he just cooks a tasty chicken curry ... but doesn't eat it himself???

... I guess that probably doesn't count as an insight!!

PB

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
TablaBeatz

Reply with quote  #5 
LOL ! Could be quite possibly - he said he cooks it for his daughter(s) who love it !
"The beginning of life is rhythm. When you’re in the womb your mother’s heart is beating at (about 90) decibels ... we were born of vibration 13.7 billion years ago with the explosion of the universe."
evening84

Reply with quote  #6 
There once was a Tabla-player from Nantucket
who ate samosas by the bucket
a big fat ass
he passed a lot of gas
sometimes in Tisra jati Takit Takit Takit

pbercker

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "evening84"
There once was a Tabla-player from Nantucket
who ate samosas by the bucket
a big fat ass
he passed a lot of gas
sometimes in Tisra jati Takit Takit Takit
I feel like I ought to say something ... but I just don't know what!!

Perhaps we should have a separate thread for (bad?) tabla humor?!

PB

assingh

Reply with quote  #8 
Hello Pascal,

I agree with you on diet. I have read that it was very common in Benaras Tabla players to be a good wrestler and as well as Musicians. They were also involved in daily Indian push ups/Indian squats. The diet of Almonds was considered the best as most of them were vegetarians.

Also, on a humor note, Pandit Swapan Chaudhri considers Lam to be the secret ingredients as mentioned in this video @

Regards,
Aadil

Reply with quote  #9 
Almonds are good for kaydas they say
and lassi speeds your relas, but
Paltas of biryani and tukras off the tandoor
Be sure they will all go to your gut!
pbercker

Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Aadil"
There must be some sort of pun here, but I can't quite figure it out!

Here's my contribution to the "tabla diet" - a recipe for "shahi tukra" ! (a kind of bread pudding)
Quote:
Shahi Tukra

Ingredients

5 slices bread
2 Tablespoons oil
4 Tablespoons sugar
4 cups milk
Saffron powder, to taste (optional)
Raisins or prunes (dried plums)

Pascal

Acelga

Reply with quote  #11 
a small offtopic here: as I started eating clean and getting healthier habits, my performance on tabla and other instruments became better.
I am not kidding you: eat clean, run a few Km. a week, do some pushups and pullups, and you will have more strenght and perform better. :wink:
(still a "newbie" but I like my sound now much better than when I was a "fatty newbie") :mrgreen:
Aadil

Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "pbercker"
Quote:
gut~=gat (as in kayda, chalan, gat...)
pbercker

Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Quote:

gut~=gat (as in kayda, chalan, gat...)
ohh...Of course!... How could I be so blind?!! I like it!

Pascal

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.