Indian Music Forums
Register Calendar Latest Topics Chat

Author   Comment  
StVitus

Reply with quote  #1 
What’s the name of the dhrupad style played on sitar? I read about it in an article about Santosh Banerjee that I can’t find again.
Ingo

Reply with quote  #2 
Senia Rampur baj via Dabir Khan?
chrisitar

Reply with quote  #3 
Im not sure it has its own name, other than the gharana of the player. I've got recordings of ZM Dagar, Bahauddin Dagar, and Pushparaj Koshti playing dhrupad style sitar. To me it's just their veena/surbahar style on sitar.

Reply with quote  #4 
Yes, Chris, non Gharana specific (that is, steering away from that can of worms*) it is simply veena ang, slower and less ornate, no Murkis, Krintan etc.

As OP mentioned the great Santosh Banerjee I thought it was specific about that line. Read an interview with his daughter, Sahana Banerjee. In that she rightly says, Sitar is a Khyal instrument and her way of playing it is therefor using the older structure/ang and sprinkling some choice Gayaki over this. Coincidentally I don't find this interview again, like the OP. And where is the OP?

(* = Criticisms like X plays the Surbahar like a Sitar, the Sitar like a Veena, the Veena like a Telecaster, uses too many or not enough Mizrabs and/or fingers, plays Fusion in Khyal ang, too many or no or the wrong Taans, etc. pp., the whole outdated Gharana showbiz.)
StVitus

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks for the responses. Now I’ve got more to read about (assuming I can get the obscure journals through inter-library loans).
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.