INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
sikhman

Reply with quote  #1 
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1997968097332260460&q

Dhrupad is the oldest genre of hindustani music and originally was sung in hindu shrines, however it later emerged to the mughal courts and then to the stage. This film investigates the oldest dhrupad tradition, the Dagarvani dhrupad. The Dagar family traces back its origin not to the legendary MiaN Tansen, royal court musician of the Mughal emperor Akbar (1542-1605), but to his guru Swami Haridas, who was a brahmin, later Dagars converted to islam, according without difficulties their faith with hindu spirituality. This is a documentary on dagarvani, the most influential dhrupad tradition. It features the representants of the older generation like Ustad Zia Mohiuddin Dagar and Ustad Zia Fariduddin Dagar.
povster

Reply with quote  #2 
This is still up on the same link. I downloaded it (there is a download option). Even though I am English speaking only there is much here!

Does anyone know if this has been put out on a DVD?

There is a young man at the very beginning obvisouly taking a lesson - the teacher sings and he plays the vin. Is that a young Baha'ud'din Mohiuddin Dagar being taught by his father? From the look it could well be him, and he is listed in the credits.

Also, this is a documentary on Dagarbani. The young man in question is holding the vin behind his shoulder as opposed to across the lap in the Dagarbani style. What is the story behind this?

Surbaharplayer

Reply with quote  #3 
Yep, that's Baha'uddin. From what I heard that's the first time he played vina...or the first time he played that raga...not sure. When I was in Mumbai, I think I spotted that very veena in the Dagar musicroom...a very small instrument.
I have the documentary on videotape...lousy quality..but with subtitles...
povster

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks Remco. I am not concerned about the lousy video quality as it can't be much worse than what is on the internet. But subtitled? That would be sweet. But I assume it is in PAL format, incompatible with the US NTSC format?

I have been looking on the internet for copies for sale but no luck as yet.

trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #5 
I have a copy from Channel 4 tv in the 80s. Not a bad print & put it onto DVD last year. I put small bits of it on google last year after I go it on the computer.
Subtitles of course. Someone here has a copy from me, I'm sure. Or is it you, surbaharplayer???

Computers will play it, I'm sure. Even in PAL system.

Nick
Surbaharplayer

Reply with quote  #6 
Hi Nick,
I got my copy from Glynn Snelgrove, the veenaplayer from Germany. He is from England, so I'm sure he also taped it the same way. I still have it on tape and have to transfer it. I think my teacher here in Holland has a very nice copy, qualitywise. We were thinking about somehow subtitling that one...
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #7 
Hi again.
Yes, it'll be the same broadcast. You could take the subbed copy & a computer prog such as U-Lead & go throught the whole film adding the subs & re-saving each piece of footage. Very long-winded process but possible.

Nick
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #8 
Just putting the links to my clips on sendspace now on the other post.

Nick
Tomek

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "trippy
Hi again.
Yes, it'll be the same broadcast. You could take the subbed copy & a computer prog such as U-Lead & go throught the whole film adding the subs & re-saving each piece of footage. Very long-winded process but possible.

Nick
Actually I think there's an easier way - there are a lot of places where you can download 'fan subs', which are basically small files with nothing but text (and a time stamp, I imagine), that most video/DVD player programs can read and sync up with the picture. Haven't done this, or used one, hence my vague description... But this is actually how subtitles work on DVD discs, too.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.