INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
sikhman

Reply with quote  #1 
Respected Tabla students & Masters,

Can you please give you valuable advice on improving clarity and speed with the following Kaida from 40 lessons of Keramtullah's ?

Dha tr kttk d/r/d/r kttk
Dha tt grng tuna kttk

ta tr kttk t/r/t/r kttk
Dha tt grng tuna kttk

I loose clarity with bols Dha tt grnd whenever I try play in speed. Do I have to change my fingers to gain speed while keeping clarity. Please advise?
jantiff

Reply with quote  #2 
Here is how I know it:

(A) Dha_TeTe GeReNaGe DheReDeRe GeReNaGe
(B) Dha_TeTe GeReNaKe Thun_Na_ KeReNaKe
(C) Ta_TeTe KeReNaKe TheReTeRe KeReNaKe
(D) Dha_TeTe GeReNaGe Dhin_Na_ GeReNaGe

I assume you're fingering Ge(2) Re(g3) Na(gn1) Ge(1).

In fast tempo, KeThun in (B) must be played with fast KeKe technique on the bayan (split hand into two parts, thumb and index hit first). For the regular GeReNaGe, my teacher tells me to play pratice parts such as Dha_TeTe + GeReNaGe * n, starting slow, loud and clear; speed up gradually and cut speed by half as soon as you're losing clarity, doubling it back up when you feel ready. Also use fast KeKe fingering when switching to KeReNaKe.

Kaidas in GeGeTeTe will help too.

Maybe you can change the fingering for TeTe also but I don't think it's necessary (I for one am stuck at reasonable speed if I want a clear, loud DheReDeRe anyway ^^)
sikhman

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks! For your explanation. It is very helpful. I'll try to practice this way.
cirwin75

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
In fast tempo, KeThun in (B) must be played with fast KeKe technique on the bayan (split hand into two parts, thumb and index hit first).
Hi Jantiff, can you elaborate a bit on the fast keke technique please? Is "Thun" in this kaida played with "Ke"(Bayan) and "Thun"(Dayan) together? Is this style from the Benares Gharana?

Thanks
jantiff

Reply with quote  #5 
Yes, Thun in this ka
cirwin75

Reply with quote  #6 
thanks for the reply jantiff, that's quite helpful.
Terry1234

Reply with quote  #7 
Dha Titakita Taka Taka Taka tita kita Dhir Dhir Kita Taka Tu Na Kita Taka
then the other half
Greg

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "jantiff"
......All I know, is that my teacher learned this stuff from Pandit Shankar Gosh.
please....who is your teacher?? I have learned from Pandit Shankar Ghosh, I recognise his notation...g3..gn1..etc

Tablaseek

Reply with quote  #9 
notation...g3..gn1..etc

Can you please explain what the letters (g, gn) mean. I can work out that the numbers refer to the fingers in the respective hands.
Thanks

Tablaseek
jantiff

Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Tablaseek"
notation...g3..gn1..etc

Can you please explain what the letters (g, gn) mean. I can work out that the numbers refer to the fingers in the respective hands.
Thanks

Tablaseek
The fingering Ge(2) Re(g3) Na(gn1) Ge(1) means the following:

(2) bayan middle finger
(g3) closed stroke on the gab (shihay) of the dayan with 3 fingers
(gn1) closed stroke on the gab with index finger (called n1)
(1) bayan index finger

This is the notation invented and taught by Pandit Shankar Ghosh. I will soon post a complete description of it as I find it quite handy.
jantiff

Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Greg"
Quote:
Originally Posted by "jantiff"
......All I know, is that my teacher learned this stuff from Pandit Shankar Gosh.
please....who is your teacher?? I have learned from Pandit Shankar Ghosh, I recognise his notation...g3..gn1..etc
My teacher is french tablist Tristan Auvray, who has been learning directly from Guruji since 1998.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.