INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
annamalayaar

Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "rajpuranik"
Quote:
i think that for me is impossible with 1 hour a day to become a good player.i'm 35 yers old...sigh!!!!
Not at all, I started playing when I turned 30, and even then my formal lessons were infrequent. One hour of practice per day is more than 90% of amateur musicians give to their music. No, I'm not going to be like Zakirji, but I can take a tabla to my friend's party and actually make music that people enjoy, instead of just listening to the same old CDs that everyone has heard many times before.

One thing I have learned is to stop comparing myself negatively to tabla masters - what is more important is that you start to perform with other people in informal settings. If all you do is practice with the hope of being as good as Zakirji, then you will never experience the joy of actually making music at whatever level you are capable. Plus the learning becomes technical or theoretical.

What I am saying is, enjoy the journey, don't worry about the destination.
i agree...thanks

No amount of learning can teach one to give up the ego.The best course is to catch hold of what is real, without any support.He who is fully conscious is really God. He is the real nature of one's own true state.The experience is silence,it cannot speak.
Greg

Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "rajpuranik"
Quote:
i think that for me is impossible with 1 hour a day to become a good player.i'm 35 yers old...sigh!!!!
Not at all, I started playing when I turned 30, and even then my formal lessons were infrequent. One hour of practice per day is more than 90% of amateur musicians give to their music. No, I'm not going to be like Zakirji, but I can take a tabla to my friend's party and actually make music that people enjoy, instead of just listening to the same old CDs that everyone has heard many times before.

One thing I have learned is to stop comparing myself negatively to tabla masters - what is more important is that you start to perform with other people in informal settings. If all you do is practice with the hope of being as good as Zakirji, then you will never experience the joy of actually making music at whatever level you are capable. Plus the learning becomes technical or theoretical.

What I am saying is, enjoy the journey, don't worry about the destination.
yup, I'm with you both....

hbajpai

Reply with quote  #18 
Amen brother!
redtape

Reply with quote  #19 
The journey can be helped with a little practicality. Reduce weight and that one hour becomes TWO

Anand Vyas
annamalayaar

Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "redtape"
The journey can be helped with a little practicality. Reduce weight and that one hour becomes TWO

Anand Vyas

weight ?

No amount of learning can teach one to give up the ego.The best course is to catch hold of what is real, without any support.He who is fully conscious is really God. He is the real nature of one's own true state.The experience is silence,it cannot speak.
redtape

Reply with quote  #21 
oops ~ repeat answer ~ cannot delete... Sorry
redtape

Reply with quote  #22 
The weight of the "hanging" thumb can literally change one's "tabla playing life". I posted earlier in this same thread and other posts. Of course ~ here it comes ~ I see some one lining up a large bowling ball in cyber space to throw at me Ouch telling the truth is risky and painful, for me around here no doubt Too young maybe Anyway ~ yes the thumb, the thumb, the thumb of your right (tabla/Dayan not Bayan) should be joined as much as possible with you index finger for more dexterity. Period. It may feel weird at first but it will help within 10 days ~ This is fact
rapture

Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "redtape"
The weight of the "hanging" thumb can literally change one's "tabla playing life". I posted earlier in this same thread and other posts. Of course ~ here it comes ~ I see some one lining up a large bowling ball in cyber space to throw at me Ouch telling the truth is risky and painful, for me around here no doubt Too young maybe Anyway ~ yes the thumb, the thumb, the thumb of your right (tabla/Dayan not Bayan) should be joined as much as possible with you index finger for more dexterity. Period. It may feel weird at first but it will help within 10 days ~ This is fact

the technique for dhere dhere has as many variants as there are teachers. practice it the way your teacher taught you. slowly increase the speed.

and while it's true that you could probably get by without dhere dhere if all you do is accompany, what's the point in doing riyaz if you don't aspire to be the best tabla player you can be and to continually improve? even if you are not good at dhere dhere, practicing it will actually help your hand develop and you will get better at other bols.

-r
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.