INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
ktheisen

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello Tabla People!

Just have to say I have been coming to this site for....16 years now 😉 Mostly self taught tabla player and just got back into it after years of no practice. 

Anyway I was hoping someone could help me with a simple question:

I have Sadanand Naimpalli's Advanced Tabla Book, and there are many peshkars in it that begin with "DHE". For example: in "Shankh" Taal:

DHE KD' Dha Dhin Dha | -Dha DHin Dha | Dha ti Dha ti | Dha DHa DHin Dha

etc...

There are other compositions that do start with DHIT so I didn't think it would be the same.

The bol "Dhe" is not indicated in the bol guide at the beginning.

I have always played dhe like dhit (ge + closed TE on syahi flat sound) but it didn't seem right to start a composition with that bol. 

Is it Dhit? If not, what then?

Any help is much appreciated.

-Kelley
dhatitdha

Reply with quote  #2 
It should be "Dhin KD' Dha Dhin Dha  . . . "

Dhin = Open Tin + Ge

Please refer this link for Teentaal Peshkar notations which you can play in the web
http://vishwamohini.com/music/music.php?id=80&tl=Peshkar%20in%20taal%20Teentaal
g

Reply with quote  #3 
It is well worth a watch of this whole video, for any tabla student, but I have linked the relevant part:

It starts with Dhi Ge Dhin na and you can see how he plays dhi like dhatitdha says above.

Dhi  is an open sound

ktheisen

Reply with quote  #4 
Thank you both very much.

I've learned over the years that it is very limiting to not know Hindi. There are many resources online and books available I'm missing out on, and there would presumably be no confusion as to which bol is which if I was able to read it.

-K
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.