INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
ajgupta

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi,

Firstly i would like to extend my appreciation to all of the forum members. I have been browsing for a little while now and although i am a newbie to the world of tabla i feel that i have learned so much from this forum, so thank you all.

I have been looking for some instruction on the bol Dhati Dhati DhaDha TooNa Tati Dhati DhaDha DhiNa. It seems very simple but to play it fast my left hand seems to stop functioning and it does what it wants, i find it hard to be consistent, sure i could practice it and force the fingers to work in a certain way but i want to practice properly.

Could anyone out there please explain what is the correcting left hand fingering (bayan) for this bol. Im trying:

Dha Ti Dha Ti Dha Dha Too Na
2fingers 1 finger 2fingers 1finger

Ta Ti Dha Ti Dha Dha Dhi Na
2fingers 1finger 2finger 1finger

Is this correct, i was doing it completely different before but after some contemplation i came to a conclusion this would be the best. How do you guys out there play this bol, even if you play a variation, eg. dhadha tite dhadha toona tata tite dhadha dhina or others.

I look forward to your reply.
va4leo

Reply with quote  #2 
I have always been alternating between the left Middle and Index Fingers on the Baaya (using only one finger at a time). It seems to work quite nicely. I look forward to the responses of others!

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "va4leo"
I have always been alternating between the left Middle and Index Fingers on the Baaya (using only one finger at a time). It seems to work quite nicely. I look forward to the responses of others!
I also generally (but not always) alternate in the same way except that I use the middle finger with the ring finger on one stroke and the index finger on the next. I can better differentiate between a strong ge and a weaker ge that way. I generally first use the middle + ring finger first (on a pressed ge typically) and then the index finger on the second more open ge.

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
ajgupta

Reply with quote  #4 
wow, thank you for the responses.

I like the alternating finger approach, thats what i thought would be best aswell.

any videos would be good, I havent been able to find any videos on anyone playing this bol.

There are many talented tabla players who have uploaded many instructional videos on the internet (youtube), but it seems many people avoid this bol.
pbercker

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "ajgupta"
wow, thank you for the responses.

I like the alternating finger approach, thats what i thought would be best aswell.

any videos would be good, I havent been able to find any videos on anyone playing this bol.

There are many talented tabla players who have uploaded many instructional videos on the internet (youtube), but it seems many people avoid this bol.
I'm not sure what you mean that "many people avoid this bol" (which bol did you mean to refer to?) - do you mean the composition itself?

In any case, what you have is often referred to as a beginner's kaida. A more complete kaida that includes the smaller composition you have is the following (in bold is the smaller part in your post):
Quote:
Delhi Kaida

DhaDha TeTe DhaDha TunNa
DhaTi DhaTi DhaDha TunNa
TaTa TeTe TaTa TunNa
DhaTi DhaTi DhaDha DhinNa
More importantly you can find this exact kaida demonstrated in a tabla lesson by Pandit Anindo Chatterjee on his website (one of over 130 tabla lessons!). You will need to register first (which is free) before you can have access to all the tabla lessons.

http://acst.viewcy.com/

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.