INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
arhatontabla

Reply with quote  #1 
I have been working out in this kaida and trying to compose new variations of my own. Does anybody has any idea regarding variations. If you have good compositions on this kaida please do share here..thanks!!
pbercker

Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "arhatontabla"
I have been working out in this kaida and trying to compose new variations of my own. Does anybody has any idea regarding variations. If you have good compositions on this kaida please do share here..thanks!!
I've not seen this kaida before ... I'm curious, where does it come from? Is this the complete kaida? It feels like it might be missing something, but I am not sure.

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
arhatontabla

Reply with quote  #3 
It is one of the banaras gat kaidas. It goes like this:

DhaS tete tete dhage
tete tete kitadha tete
Dhatira kitadha tete dhage
tete tete kitadha tete

TaS tete tete take
tete tete kitata tete
tete tete kitadha tete

While playing any sort of gats, we normally use open bols and this kaida resembles one of them with kitadha. This kaida is given to me by my master Achyut Ram Bhandari in kathmandu, Nepal. And one of his books "A glance play on tabla" has many popular and non popular kaidas and other exercises to practice which would facilitate both beginners and advanced players of tabla. I just want to generate some ideas regarding the variations. I would like to share 2 of the original variations which i know, with you all shortly. If anyone knows some original variations please do post here. i would really appreciate that. thanks!!
pbercker

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
It is one of the banaras gat kaidas. It goes like this:

DhaS tete tete dhage
tete tete kitadha tete
tete tete kitadha tete

TaS tete tete take
tete tete kitata tete
tete tete kitadha tete

While playing any sort of gats, we normally use open bols and this kaida resembles one of them with kitadha. This kaida is given to me by my master Achyut Ram Bhandari in kathmandu, Nepal. And one of his books "A glance play on tabla" has many popular and non popular kaidas and other exercises to practice which would facilitate both beginners and advanced players of tabla. I just want to generate some ideas regarding the variations. I would like to share 2 of the original variations which i know, with you all shortly. If anyone knows some original variations please do post here. i would really appreciate that. thanks!!
I'm assuming this is meant to be in teental, but the second line seems to have one too many bols! Can you clarify what is "kitata"? Is that the same as "ki te te", i.e. 3 bols? The only way I can make any sense of it given what you have is as follows:

http://imageshack.us/a/img812/514/arhatontablakaida2.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Does this look right at all? Might this be a kaida-rela?

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
arhatontabla

Reply with quote  #5 
kitata is made of two bols: kita (ki and ta/te;played somewhat simultaneously) and ta/na..and ya of course this is a teental kaida. When you are playing in faster tempo 'kitata' would be little faint sounding and i'm working on this, building my clarity.
arhatontabla

Reply with quote  #6 
yes pascal that's all right to exercise. thanks for your concern.i appreciate that. hope we'd exchange more variations on this kaida in coming days .
arhatontabla

Reply with quote  #7 
here's a simple variation on this kaida as i was taught:

Dha tete tete dhage
Dha tete tete dhage
Dha tete tete dhage
tete tete kitadha tete

dha tete tete dhage
tete tete kitadha tete
dhatira kitadha tete dhage
tete tete kitadha tete

ta tete tete take
ta tete tete take
ta tete tete take
tete tete kitata tete

dha tete tete dhage
tete tete kitadha tete
tete tete kitadha tete

i will post the next one in another post. enjoy playing!!
TablaBeatz

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
here's a simple variation on this kaida as i was taught:

Dha tete tete dhage
Dha tete tete dhage
Dha tete tete dhage
tete tete kitadha tete

dha tete tete dhage
tete tete kitadha tete
tete tete kitadha tete

ta tete tete take
ta tete tete take
ta tete tete take
tete tete kitata tete

dha tete tete dhage
tete tete kitadha tete
tete tete kitadha tete

i will post the next one in another post. enjoy playing!!
Hi arahatontabla - I was going to say that I don't really see conventional kaida structure here - but I do now.

the 'kitadha' bols however to me seem out of place - and prevent flow of the kaida ? Maybe I am wrong - but thanks for posting and sharing - it is always good to see and consider what others are playing.

"The beginning of life is rhythm. When you’re in the womb your mother’s heart is beating at (about 90) decibels ... we were born of vibration 13.7 billion years ago with the explosion of the universe."
pbercker

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "TablaBeatz"

Hi arahatontabla - I was going to say that I don't really see conventional kaida structure here - but I do now.

the 'kitadha' bols however to me seem out of place - and prevent flow of the kaida ? Maybe I am wrong - but thanks for posting and sharing - it is always good to see and consider what others are playing.
I can more or less see that kaida structure as well, but I can't help but think that something is missing. Also, I wonder if "kitadha" is simply "kre dha" which might make more sense here.

here's a beginner's kaida with two variations that might be of interest. This kaida is sometimes attributed to the Benares Gharana. It bears some slight resemblance to the kaida here under discussion. (theme is in red).

http://imageshack.us/a/img824/9226/beginnerskaida.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

on the one hand it seems easy enough to play, and yet all those tetes are actually quite hard to play in a musical way!

Pascal

TablaBeatz

Reply with quote  #10 
Yes Pascal I also think the original poster means Kre Dha -
"The beginning of life is rhythm. When you’re in the womb your mother’s heart is beating at (about 90) decibels ... we were born of vibration 13.7 billion years ago with the explosion of the universe."
arhatontabla

Reply with quote  #11 
'kitadha' is somewhat similar to 'kredha' but it's nt exactly kredha. the hitting of bayan then dayan time is little different in these two. kitadha takes a bit longer beat time than playing kredha. i am also learning to play kitadha in faster tempo still maintaining the clarity but it seems to me that while palying kitadha, much effort is not needed in 'ta'. If we play distinct 'ta' then playing this phrase faster would be difficult as i found out. I wish i could share some video with you regarding this. I will work upon it soon . Thanks for the variation!!
arhatontabla

Reply with quote  #12 
Here is another variation:

Dha tete tete dhage
tete tete kitadha tete
tete tete kitadha tete
tete tete kitadha tete

Dha tete tete dhage
tete tete kitadha tete
tete tete kitadha tete

Ta tete tete take
tete tete kitata tete
tete tete kitata tete
tete tete kitata tete

Dha tete tete dhage
tete tete kitadha tete
tete tete kitadha tete

Just the focus is changed to 'tete tete kitadha tete' , compared to earlier variation. I think gat kaidas are not actually meant to play in fast tempos but should be played bold and clean at slow ones.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.