INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
tarryman

Reply with quote  #1 
Dha Ge Na Tin Na Ka Dhin Na - Kaherava

Is this a dead taal , in that , it is always quoted in books but is never actualy used anywhere.
Is it used at a slow speed or fast speed.
Are the any film songs , or any songs for that matter that have used this taal
exactly as it written.
Are there extracts or mp3 files in the internet that will allow me to hear how this taal should sound like.

Thanking you.
jaan e kharabat

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi

I think this theka is used in fast/drut layas. I have heard it on many Afghan ghazal type songs, and there must be scores of Indian songs too. I think in thumris they also use this theka.

I have a Shahid Parviz (sitar player) thumri type gat in raga Mand that uses this theka.

Check out the following medium tempo khamaj gat in kerwa by Zakir H, he plays a little variation:

Dha Ge Na Tun| Na Tete Dhin Dha

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/l/5/m/taal.121/

or check out this dhun by the Late great Bismillah Khan

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/l/5/m/taal.100/

Reply with quote  #3 
Keherwa is by no means a "dead taal" - it's more likely that books or articles regarding the subject are either outdated, poorly researched, or incomplete.
There are, in fact, dozens if not a hundred or more stylistic and regional variations of Keherwa theka more common and more often employed than the one most often given as it's official signature.

A.

Reply with quote  #4 
Sorry, i did not mean that kehrawa was a dead taal and not used.
But specifically the variation of
Dha ge na tin , na ke dhin na.

But i think jaan e kharabat has put me on the right track.

Many thanks
varun

Reply with quote  #5 
There used to be some audio clips for different variation of keharwa ,3years back I guess.its not any more on net.
anahad

Reply with quote  #6 
Its true that this is mostly used in fast numbers but also Tabla player for Ustad Nasrat Ali Khan frequently uses it and so do the Tabla player for Mehndi Hasan ( sorry dont know the name of either)

Reply with quote  #7 
Notable Tabla players for Mehdi Hassan: Ustad Tari Khan Sahib, Ustad Pir Baksh

Ustad Nusrat Fateh's Tabla player: Dildar Hussain

Kherwa doesnt have a preperscribed Theka. There is qawalli, bajani, Ghazal, dholak style, etc... kherwas. The thing with Kherwa is that its pretty much a folk/light taal, so there are so many variations of it. I was with Tari Khan Sahib one time and we were talking about Kherwa, he mentioned that the traditional "dhe ghe na ti na ghe dhin na" is really old and rarely used today.

Anyways...to further complicate a complicated issue, here is clip of
Fateh Ali Khan and Mubarak Ali Khan (Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan's Father and Uncle repectively). The tabla player is playing a very old style of Kherwa associated with older Sikh Kirtans/ Sufiana Kalam. Interesting enough, this is the same theka Zakir Ji uses on his Moment records cd with VG Jog -Rageshri.

Dha tin na go dhin
http://www.apnaorg.com/cgi-bin/secure/media.cgi?apna148

Reply with quote  #8 
what is the basic theka that Nusrat Fateh Ali Khans Dildar Hussain uses so much? It is some variation of Dhati Dha Ta But instead of 3 consequetive hits on Ta/Dha it seems to be only 2???
bajerovaquero

Reply with quote  #9 
I usually use keharwa in swing feeling, believe me its a hard groove:

Dhage na tuna ge tuna

As basis, the second ge closed and the third ge open benares style. The na also open in chanti, benares sound.
Some variations:
Dhage tet tuna ge tuna
Dhage tet nana ge tet na
Dhage na tuna ge terekita
Nage tet nana ge tet na
Nage dhet nana ge dhet nana
RevolvingSound

Reply with quote  #10 
thanks!
tirakitanity

Reply with quote  #11 
I am really surprised that .... u consider keherwa as a dead taal....

I have learnt tabla for 7 years.....I play the dholak.....I play for punjab

many other songs....keherwa is the base.......I just improvise on it...to

get the applause....
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.