INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #1 
I was tinkering with a devanagari script generator and came up with the following:

सा रे॒ रे ग॒ ग म म॑ प ध॒ ध नि॒ नि सां

Assuming one's browser can see it, can anyone confirm if this is an accurate representation of the sargam, including tivra/komal notes and high sa, according to Bhatkhande's notation? Not that I could read this at speed, but it would be fun to build a notation generator someday that could output sargam notation in devanagari.
Christianamr

Reply with quote  #2 
It is correct .
chrisitar

Reply with quote  #3 
Cool! Just for fun, here's raag Todi: सा रे॒ ग॒ म॑ ध॒ सां, सां नि ध॒ प म॑ ग॒ रे॒ सा

Reply with quote  #4 
Maybe I'm wrong, and a Hindi speaker can chime in to correct me; hopefully; if I am, but I think 'DHA' and 'NI' are slightly wrong. I think the vertical line that you have at the beginning of 'NI' should be at the end of the character for 'DHA' instead. That is how we write it for a tabla bol. http://chandrakantha.com/tablasite/bsicbols.htm Someone please correct me if I am wrong, as I would really like to know this for sure.

and..Thank you for posting this question, as I have been wanting to confirm the script for the sargam for a loooong time, but didn't know how to post in the script. I have been wanting to get the sargam as a tattoo (it would be my first) for years, but didn't want to without confirming the script.
Christianamr

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Nastika"
Maybe I'm wrong, and a Hindi speaker can chime in to correct me; hopefully; if I am, but I think 'DHA' and 'NI' are slightly wrong. I think the vertical line that you have at the beginning of 'NI' should be at the end of the character for 'DHA' instead. That is how we write it for a tabla bol. http://chandrakantha.com/tablasite/bsicbols.htm Someone please correct me if I am wrong, as I would really like to know this for sure.

and..Thank you for posting this question, as I have been wanting to confirm the script for the sargam for a loooong time, but didn't know how to post in the script. I have been wanting to get the sargam as a tattoo (it would be my first) for years, but didn't want to without confirming the script.
I am not a Hindi-speaker ( though I hope to become one someday ) , but I can read Devnagari . The line besides " a " would indicate a long " a " ( written ā in Sanskrit or aa in Hindi : like tāl or taal ) instead of a short " a " ( written a ) .

If there should be any remaining doubts , here is the word धनि ( Dhani ) , which means rich in Hindi .
Now , on the other side I have found out that धानी ( Dhaanee ) means receptacles .

But I have seen both orthographies for the raga Dhani ( or Dhaanee ) ... :|
The site Swarganga for example uses "Dhaanee " for a Lakshan Geet ( with Devnagari besides ) but for the index search function it uses Dhani , which is more practical for writing .

Nastika

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Christianamr"
I am not a Hindi-speaker ( though I hope to become one someday ) , but I can read Devnagari . The line besides " a " would indicate a long " a " ( written ā in Sanskrit or aa in Hindi : like tāl or taal ) instead of a short " a "
This is my understanding as well, and is why I think it should have the line on the 'Dha' letter instead of in front of 'Ni'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Christianamr"
If there should be any remaining doubts , here is the word धनि ( Dhani ) , which means rich in Hindi ....
Maybe I am misunderstanding; but this, too, only seems to be in accordance with what I said?
david

Administrator
Reply with quote  #7 
The Dha is correct. It generally does not have the "AA" matra added to it. Now this should not be confused with the tabla bol "Dha" which DOES use the "AA" matra.

The Ni is acceptable, but not the most common one. Although one often sees the "choti i" as indicated here, the use of the "badi i" is more common (on the right side.) I have no explanation as to why the "badi i" should be more commonly used. It is derived from the word "Nishad" which itself uses the "choti i"

Peace

David Courtney
david

Administrator
Reply with quote  #8 
This brings up the topic of ambiguity in Devnagri.

One would think that as precise as devnagri is, that there should be no ambiguity. But remember, there are variations in pronunciation and this naturally spills over into the writing.

But there are further causes for ambiguity. For instance the word "Tarang" may be written several ways. Sometimes it uses a a combination of "half-n" and "G", sometimes it uses the "bindu" and a "G", sometimes it uses a Sankrit jord-aksahar that I cannot even begin to describe in Roman script. (This jod-akshar, although somewhat bookish, is generally considered to be the correct form.)

The bottom line for all of this is that we must be prepared for a certain degree of variation in these matters.

Peace

David Courtney
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.