INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
ram.sitar

Reply with quote  #16 
Good music gives listening pleasure. But Mr. Nilaksha's articles always failed to please me. This article on Nikhil Banerjee is no exception.

I personally find him to be extremely arrogant, sometimes illogical and biased.
The 'subject line musician' of his article always comes to the top with totally dismissive approach for the rest.

Some live examples are here:

Obituary for Ravi Shankar:
"As a classical instrumentalist he (Ravi Shankar) was among the best ever born in India, stronger in raga, tala, alap, gatkari and layakari than Vilayat Khan and a more disciplined and consistent performer than Ali Akbar Khan."

Obituary for Ali Akbar Khan:
"Back home, there was never any doubt about who was the boss among the three (Ravi Shankar, Ali Akbar Khan and Vilayat Khan). Ali Akbar generally cut Ravi Shankar down to size in their very popular duets. His duets with Vilayat Khan were few and far between but in them, when the sarod maestro went on his melodic explorations, the most visible among his appreciators was Vilayat himself. "

In an article on Ravi Shankar he praises a Marwa rendition by Pandit Ji mentioning "Nikhil Banerjee'r Marwa er onek niche" (Nikhil Banerjee's Marwa stands far below)

… (I can give a lot more examples of this kind. Sometimes his opinions differ across articles on the same context)

So, obituary for Nikhil Banerjee could not be any better.

God knows the reason of his animosity with Vilayat Khan and Etawah Gharana. There must be some hidden forces for publishing such articles. Long back Desh (ABP owned Bengali Magazine) published an edition on Vilayat Khan where Sitarist Subroto Roychowdhury and Ashesh Chattopadhyay wrote thoughtful articles. Mr. Nilaksha wrote an article (for the same edition) on evolution of Sitar Baaj - where he tried to prove that Etawah Tradition had no considerable contribution on the evolution of Sitar Baaj. He literally mentioned "Alauddin Khan collected, standardised and systemized the gems and jewels in Indian Classical Music which can be treated as treasure. Whereas Imdad Khan, Enayet Khan and their descendants only managed to collect few pebbles from the bank of the river" (It was written in Bengali. I cannot think of more apt translation in English)

The only Ustad who was excused from such abusive language is Amjad Ali Khan. Mr. Nilaksha worked for the famous APB group of Kolkata and Ustad was the ABP group owner’s Sarod teacher.

Discussing more on this will only give undue importance to it. So, let me stop here.

Ramprapanna Bhattacharya
http://ramprapanna.webs.com
Sanjeeb

Reply with quote  #17 
As I was reading this thread a few days ago and now also I thought it rather rude and inconsiderate the remark by sranam who says.
Quote:
Originally Posted by "sraman"
Who cares?
People are sharing from their knowledge and experiences and sranam says 'who cares'.
I don't wish to rake this as an issue as the thread pulled through OK enough after that after some explanations, but did want to get this in.
Not taking it to mind though.
Sorry if I am misunderstood.
Regards.
Sobers

Reply with quote  #18 
Kirya ji, thank you for sharing this article...
Quote:
Originally Posted by "ram.sitar"
I personally find him to be extremely arrogant, sometimes illogical and biased.
I agree sometimes his ''coming to conclusions'' are really annoying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by "ram.sitar"
God knows the reason of his animosity with Vilayat Khan and Etawah Gharana.
I don't know why you are saying this because mostly I found him praising Ud Vilayat Khan over others.
Once he said (written) ''....what Vilayat Khan did to sitar playing won't be ever possible by anyone else in future'' (or something like this)
But he (NG) was also knowledgeable (and informative than rest of us) but we must consider that he is a critic and not a musician and his writings are for regular listeners.

What he has written here is very obvious and not something hard to find and NOT a very delicate distinction of baaj of these maestros. One does not have to be a music critic to understand that Panditji played more layakari and Khan sahab was technically more superior or Nikhilji's melody flows evenly..... hahaha.. So this article is intended for music enthusiasts and not for a serious student.

I personally disliked statements like... ''he floored other musicians...'' or ''his style was more satisfying'' these things are much relative to explain and definitely not good for students of other gharanas
Not to forget though this type pf statements can be given only by a critic.... if given by a musician it becomes distasteful and turns into a battle of gharanas.

Second part by Anindya Banerjee is very inspiring though known incidents but repetitions are nothing but sweet..
Sanjeeb

Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Sobers"
But he (NG) was also knowledgeable (and informative than rest of us)
Not sure why you want to say this.
Sobers

Reply with quote  #20 
I mean Nilaksha Gupta is not just another person, he is a knowledgeable listener and in the area of information about artists and anecdotes he has acquired a place of his own.
Though judging details about gharanas etc is very critical and can't be done with information and I can see very clearly where he lacks knowledge (here) but I would still like to learn from a senior and serious listener.... but that's only my opinion
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.