INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
Bakersbites786

Reply with quote  #16 
Thars a nice stand and a lovely GP sitar. Thanks for sharing Katyrow.
barend

Reply with quote  #17 
Very nice stand indeed! although I am worried it will damage the sitar because it is not padded. All parts where the sitar touches the wood should be padded. Someone should make this design in a padded and light weight portable version and sell it. There would be a (small) market for it I guess....
fbidris

Reply with quote  #18 
The stands are nice, so are the sitars that occupy them. On the other hand, I like to keep all my sitars (1 Naskar and 2 HR's) in their cases lying flat on a matted floor. If I ever left one standing (leaning against the wall, got no stand), I suffered a great deal of anxiety the seconds following and went back and put it in its case. The oldest sitar I have I bought in 1982 or 33 years ago. Some of its finish has chipped away, but no dent or crack anywhere.

The stand looks nice, but the sitar in it would collect dust, and believe me, this instrument is a dust magnet. Another thing to worry about is accidental knocking over of the stand and the sitar by its player or his pet. Then you got two things to mourn for.
Kirya

Reply with quote  #19 
Katyrow that is a very nice stand and would be great in a home in a safe corner but it does not look portable and looks like it would be expensive.

I understand for some it is not an option but there are many here and in India who also would love to have a better stand. Indian homes (or any big city anywhere) rarely have the space to have a couple of sitar cases lying around. I almost never ever saw a sitar case EVER in my time in India (in Bombay in the days before fibreglass) -- everybody had them in a corner on one of those tabla pads or on the floor to the side. Often with a cloth over them or a nice decorative spread over them. This was true for tanpuras as well which were almost always standing in a corner with a cloth over them. Bombay is so dusty that many wash their floors at least once a day -- all stone almost nobody had carpet.The only people with special arrangements were people like Kishori Amonkar who had a whole riyaz room and the room was lined with cabinets with a glass windowed doors for 8 tanpuras all standing up straight.

I am hoping to provide some feedback to a skilled carpenter to build something that has all the following qualities:

-- Provides a safe and secure place to temporarily store an instrument - Stability and Safety are KEY
-- Provides easy access while at home or on a stage
-- Relatively cost-effective so many could use it
-- Could be dismantled and put together easily, or packed and unpacked so could be used on a stage
-- Relatively inexpensive i.e. LT $100, though maybe there could be options to upscale them like @katyrow and add other features
-- Nonslip base, maybe padded though I really like the slip/padding protection on Design #5
-- As compact as possible in terms of space usage without compromising stability and security

So I guess my intention is to guide him with these pictures and your comments, and make sure he understands that we value our instruments and value safety and stability above all else.

Khyati Parekh

Reply with quote  #20 
Hi! Looking for a sitar stand. Did this exercise materialize ?
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.