INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
el presidente

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello to everyone in this great forum! I have been two years lurking on this forum as a passive reader, but finally joined in.
My question is:
I have a 5 inch Hyderabad made black sheesham dayan. I opened it, and changed the pudi a year ago. I noticed the shell wasn't carved (by lathe) very deep! Only about 3/5 of the height of the shell. That's also what makes it very heavy. So much wood left on the bottom.
Is there some reason, why to leave the resonance area so small/low? For example made for a high tuning pudi (D#, E or even F)? Or had the shell maker just been busy, and left the job half way? Over all it seems like good quality shell.
Now i have there a Mukta Das made Kolkata pudi, which i keep in D#. It sounds ok, but I keep thinking if it could sound better with a right shell/pudi combination, or properly carved shell.
Thank you for your responces!
P.S. Sorry my inproper english, but I'm finnish native.
P.P.S. Hello Upendra
david

Administrator
Reply with quote  #2 
It is exactly the way it is supposed to be. A five inch shell is not that big of a tabla so it is supposed to have a smaller cavity. Add to this the requirement that shells are supposed to be as heavy as possible, and the result is a shell which is only partially hollowed out.

Peace

David Courtney
pbercker

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "el
Hello to everyone in this great forum! I have been two years lurking on this forum as a passive reader, but finally joined in.
My question is:
I have a 5 inch Hyderabad made black sheesham dayan. I opened it, and changed the pudi a year ago. I noticed the shell wasn't carved (by lathe) very deep! Only about 3/5 of the height of the shell. That's also what makes it very heavy. So much wood left on the bottom.
Is there some reason, why to leave the resonance area so small/low? For example made for a high tuning pudi (D#, E or even F)? Or had the shell maker just been busy, and left the job half way? Over all it seems like good quality shell.
Now i have there a Mukta Das made Kolkata pudi, which i keep in D#. It sounds ok, but I keep thinking if it could sound better with a right shell/pudi combination, or properly carved shell.
P.P.S. Hello Upendra
As David pointed out that's exactly how they should be, only partially carved out. There are exceptions. I have a pakistani tabla shell that when it has a tabla head sounded no better no worse than any of my other tablas, but was very much lighter and thus far less stable which grew to be quite annoying. Here's the shell in question:

http://forums.chandrakantha.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10856&p=65982&hilit=pakistani+shell#p65512

The sound I think is overwhelmingly determined by the quality of the pudi you have. I wish I knew more about the acoustics of tabla, but my guess is that the tabla shell is unlikely to act like a sound box (or resonance chamber) on a guitar for at least 2 reasons: 1) it's closed cavity, 2) the shell is much too thick.

pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
sohummusicals

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "el
My question is:
P.P.S. Hello Upendra
Whenever the size of the shell is 5", 5.25"or 5.5", mostly it has to be 5" or at the most 6" in depth. These tablas are mainly used for high pitch(Tip), and hence, heavier the dayan, the better it will hold the sound.
-U
el presidente

Reply with quote  #5 
Thank you for good responces! I wonder why I haven't asked this earlier, because I have put so many thoughts about this subject.
If I remember right, depth is about 5 inches! Just like Upendra said. I'm relieved to hear that my shell should be OK.
Maybe it's the pudi or pitch that should be different with that shell. The problem is that in the pudi I got from Mukta Das, hadn't any pitch key written in it. So I have to find it myself, but don't want to break it. Does anybody know in whitch key are Mukta Das 5" pudis normally made?
Thanks again!
pbercker

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "el
Thank you for good responces! I wonder why I haven't asked this earlier, because I have put so many thoughts about this subject.
If I remember right, depth is about 5 inches! Just like Upendra said. I'm relieved to hear that my shell should be OK.
Maybe it's the pudi or pitch that should be different with that shell. The problem is that in the pudi I got from Mukta Das, hadn't any pitch key written in it. So I have to find it myself, but don't want to break it. Does anybody know in whitch key are Mukta Das 5" pudis normally made?
Thanks again!

I have a 5" mukta das pudi and it seems happiest around Eb, but it's been fine also at D and at E.

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
va4leo

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "pbercker"
I have a 5" mukta das pudi and it seems happiest around Eb, but it's been fine also at D and at E.

Pascal
My 5" Mukta Das Pudi sounds beautiful on E, F, and F#!

Here is an audio clip (forgive the low quality, it was recorded with an iPhone) of a Mukta Das 5.0" tabla in F#. Hope it helps! http://www.mediafire.com/?q6er2j2thr9q7op

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "va4leo"
Quote:

Pascal
My 5" Mukta Das Pudi sounds beautiful on E, F, and F#!

Here is an audio clip (forgive the low quality, it was recorded with an iPhone) of a Mukta Das 5.0" tabla in F#. Hope it helps! http://www.mediafire.com/?q6er2j2thr9q7op
Sounds great! Was that you playing? Whoever it was, it sounded very good!

Pascal

va4leo

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Sounds great! Was that you playing? Whoever it was, it sounded very good!
Pascal
GOSH NO! xD That was Vick Ramakrishna. He is one of the fastest Tabla players in South East Asia. Excellent Soloist.

Reply with quote  #10 
Hi!
The dayan is working great now!
Found the pitch that pudi's meant to tune. It's in "E" pitch now and sounds veeery good. It just needed little more breaking in (in "D#"), and a little higher tuning.
Thank you all for your advices!
-M
va4leo

Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "el
Hi!
The dayan is working great now!
Found the pitch that pudi's meant to tune. It's in "E" pitch now and sounds veeery good. It just needed little more breaking in (in "D#"), and a little higher tuning.
Thank you all for your advices!
-M
Try pushing it to 50cents above E or even to F for a day or two..then bring it back to E...and you may be amazed! Just be aware of the tension on the Head!

Reply with quote  #12 
Hi again!
Thanks "va4leo"! I followed your advice. Kind of.
Even before I started raising the pitch, had the three straps on the peg, so evidentially it was time to re-pulling, which I did. But first pulled it a bit too tight, so the pitch jumped to F#, which I tried to keep one day, hoping the tasma and pudi would settle down and lower the pitch. They didn't, so had to loose the tasma a bit and do the balancing again. The Mukta Das pudi survived this process, and now stays happily in F pitch. What a great quality pudi it is! And NOW it sounds sweet!! Doesn't even need the string under the kinar. Good projection, clear and still melodic sound.
I think I can finish this tuning / experimenting work,and concentrate on practising with a great dayan.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.