INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 3      Prev   1   2   3   Next
sindura

Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "sindura"
larkerdude,

first, you're clearly an asshole. you assume to know me and my relationship to music and the vendors by 2 posts, and call me all sorts of name becuase of it. back the hell of jackass.

second, im all for the dissemination of information, im not complaing about that and if you read my posts, you'd see im complimenting it. i think the info offerd by the dealers he is invaluable because most of them know the instruments and materials much better than any of us. what i'm against is finding any place where one can post and advertisment for their shop. i have the utmost respect and gratitude for the dealers of any instruemt and especially those as hard to fine as Hindustani instruments. you say there aren't sitar and tabla shops in every little town right? well true, but for some reason i only see on perticular dealer plugging his store allllllll the time, the other seam to manage fine. and as you say, this is a free forum, if dealers are using it to advertise their shops, they should pay for it. i dont think thats too much to ask. i think all the people you mentioned (lars, bruce, jeff, tony) are some of the most knowledgeable and respectfull people on this forum, and i wasn't refering to them. read between the lines budy.

wow, some people. . .
Anonymous

Reply with quote  #17 
Whad'ya all blind ?? It was for this very same complaint in the past that Mr. Courtney has generously allotted a specific Forum intended for use by retailers: KINDLY USE IT or reference your merchandise there.

http://66.139.254.145/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=7

BUYING & SELLING
This for the discussion of:
* Instruments for sale at any location
* Retailers and sellers
* Anyone who wishes to buy or sell anything related to Indian music
Anonymous

Reply with quote  #18 
Bobu makes a good point. The creator of this forum has made a division of the forum specifically for the purpose of buying and selling. He doesn't seem to have a problem with people promoting the selling and buying of Indian instruments. Why should anyone else be getting on their high horse? If Bharat or the Miraj gang should mention that they have some groovy new sitar available, how on earth does that detract from the enjoyment of the forum? IMHO some forum members just like to get pissy for the sake of getting pissy.
Anonymous

Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Lurker
IMHO some forum members just like to get pissy for the sake of getting pissy.
...likewise, some retailers would prefer to ignore the obvious for the sake of visibility.
sitarman

Reply with quote  #20 
Actually, I think you're both right to a certain extent. Dealers do have a section of the forum to sell their wares, but mentioning new stuff and mentioning that they are a dealer who can heklp someone solve their problem is fine- how else is the normal forum member, who reads these sitar discussions, going to know that there is something out there that relates to what they are posting about?
Anonymous

Reply with quote  #21 
Previously Bobu has condemned forum members just for having an opinion. Now he condems members for the crime of visibility. There is just no way to exist peaceably side by side with him. All are unclean excepting those that bow down to his great wisdom and agree with everything he says. Excuse me while I scurry away.
Anonymous

Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Lurker
Excuse me while I scurry away.
L.D.

I don't hope to profit from my visibility nor do the other members who are not retailers.

...And, just for the record, while Keshav may have felt "condemned", it should be clear that was more than a slight exaggeration - (a habit he's particularly prone to) - no member of this forum has been condemned nor has anyone prevented any member from expressing his or her opinion.

Get your facts straight.

Bobu
Anonymous

Reply with quote  #23 
So what you are saying is that you are somehow superior because you are unprofitable? I don't get it. I expect most members of this forum do something useful for which they are compensated at the end of the week. Or is this a forum dedicated to conversation that is strictly by and for philanthropists? Seems doubtful. Most philanthropic types are much less intolerant than yourself. Why not lighten up and let everbody just enjoy this forum minus the sniping, the critisism and the dark reproach. Don't you get tired of walking around like a storm cloud all the time? Come on down to earth with the rest of us. It has got to get lonely up there in that ivory tower.
povster

Reply with quote  #24 
Things are getting ridiculous.

There is a For Sale area because one was previously lacking. It lead to both dealers and individuals having no recourse but to post for sale and wanted within forums. This started getting on some people's nerves for various reasons. It got on my nerves because I knew there should be a For Sale type forum to consolidate all this. They can be useful posts and it is nice to have them available under a common umbrella.

Now if someone has a problem and needs a part, if a dealer carries it what do they do? Go to the For Sale forum and post a new thread that they sell chicari posts? Then mention in the Sitar forum to look at the For Sale forum? Say nothing and just PM the person?

Someone want to dictate (in the literal sense) our 100% conforming behaviour here? Tell me to whom to bow/salute/salaam, please, so I do not err. Direct me to the Supreme Ruler, because obviously we must have consistent rules for everyone to adhere to when posting, and since we will never come to agreement amoungst ourselves, There Can Be Only One who must dictae our post content!

I haven't been posting so much for sundry reaons, but one thing that IS discouraging is the sudden proliferation of topics and posts about how we should behave. And I have taken time to make some very valid points that specifically address the questions and topics get essentially no reply back, so it isn't even as profitable as peeing in the wind, because at least with peeing in the wind you get SOMETHING back!

Lets all grow up by maybe acting a bit younger. Please?

WAAAAHH.

sitarman

Reply with quote  #25 
Povster- my sentiments exactly! When did this forum become a mostly GRIPE airing? I asked a question about Gayaki sitars a couple of hours ago and have to read four or five argument posts for every sitar related topic. Come on folks! Even if a plug gets slipped in occasionally (or what some may deem as a plug) or we disagree over opinions, so WHAT?! :evil: If this forum is so annoying to some that you have to get nasty or gripey, join a Yahoo group or call a radio talk show!!! NONE OF US ARE PERFECT!
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #26 
Greetings, all. Seems to me that with the media blitz we are exposed to via tv, radio, rags, etc. , the faint marketing by any dealers pales in comparison. I wish I were in the position to offer a multitude of ready to go instruments, parts, books, cd's and all. That being so, I'd put up a nice little advert over on the left of your screen which would benefit all viewers, the forum hosts and myself. What I plead guilty to is showing off the creations - custom made instruments for the infrequent customer by directing all reading this forum over to my website. Being noted as a total woos as far as aggressive sales tactics go, for which I pat myself on the back, I can sleep reasonably well at night, cats and snoring not withstanding. I would say that the vendors who do "lurk" here show Herculian restraint regarding the sales pitch. Hats off to you all. Sitarfanatic, Keshav, Kalyan and all have offered much appreciated heads-up notes on various things like new innovations and designs of instruments. The liquid peg resin is of particular interest to me. Hope my view is in relative agreement. Cheers!

Reply with quote  #27 
Why get so worked up about something you (no one imparticular) probably had no idea existed untill someone answered a question, or if another forum member says "hey I found a good deal over here, you should check it out" Like somen said before, it's not Canada/Usa are overrun by redlight district tabladukans and sitarwallas! Personally, I have to get strings from a piano string dealer, and thankfully have never had to buy replacement parts. If I needed something, my teacher would get it (strings bridges) as he buys in bulk and would get a better deal. But come on, are some of these people really getting this upset over seeing some previously unkown items being sold being brought to their attention? Who cares, besides it's a free forum.
Anonymous

Reply with quote  #28 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "povster"
Now if someone has a problem and needs a part, if a dealer carries it what do they do? Go to the For Sale forum and post a new thread that they sell chicari posts? Then mention in the Sitar forum to look at the For Sale forum? Say nothing and just PM the person?

Dear Povster,

In one word, the answer is yes. The alternative, if no one is willing to object, is that no objective answer to a technical inqiury, say, by a novice, will be appear with out being quickly countered by a slew of sales pitches by a dealer or his faithful sycophants and countless ailiases. I've seen this happen in other free net forums where all of the best technical people have quit because they can't compete with company representatives who get paid to sit at a desk all day and throw plugs for their products in a net-wide barrage. The pattern is only beginning here - it'll get worse I assure you. You think my tone is annoying - wait till you hear the voices of dealers fighting amongst themselves. Oh yes, and they will also tell you that they're only in the business to help you the poor unfortunate customer and how much money they lose every year and how they have to cover their overhead costs, and how the customers can't imagine what a tough business it is, etc., etc. You've never heard so much crying in your life!
Is it really so much to ask that those persons who wish to offer their products or services for sale to post their free adverts in a common forum where at least the reader knows it's a pitch? At least here it's provided for them. C'mon, this is a 'sitar forum' not a 'sitar market', right? Let's all help keep it that way. Trust me, the dealers will still benefit.
povster

Reply with quote  #29 
Hi Bobu!

Well, it really hasn't happened yet, certainly not to my eye. But the vehemence of some of the posts (both pro and con) is way beyond the level of the reality. Yes, be wary and keep an eye out. If that happens someone, including myself, may immediately post a reply simply expressing their/my displaeasure.

But if someopne is asking who carries a symp post and a dealer replies simply that they stock them - I see absolutely nothing wrong with that. Any further correspondence may be taken to PMs. But I, for one, do not want to see a board where anything that has the potential for causing some annoyance be taken to PM. That can be carried to a similar extreme.

And no, I do not find your tone annoying at all. I don't find honest expressions of ideas annoying, even if they may be ones I disagree with. You can bank on that.

Now have I told you about the sitar I have for sale?

sitarman

Reply with quote  #30 
Bobu, I think we are all capable of recognizing if and when thast scenario occurs. So far the retailers have been very ethical and extremely cognizent of the fact that this is a forum, not Ebay.Sure, any real selling and promoting should be, and I think is, carried on the other forum. I don't think dwelling on "what if" and doomsday scenarios are needed. It hasn't been rampant and it hasn't been annoying to 99% of the members, so why worry about it? The dealers contribute a lot of expertise, experience, and advice. If, in the course of contributing all that, they seem to suggest we look at their wares, I personally think it is a minor indulgence.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.