INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Bhakta

Reply with quote  #1 
Just a quick question about tuning my dayan. I measured my dayan from the inside edge of the gajara to the inside edge of the other side and got 5.5". So, when I looked up general tuning guidelines most everything said it should be tuned to B through C#. I can only get it to tune up to just below C, which is where I would prefer to have it. Did I measure wrong? I've been considering just lowering the tuning to B. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Pujadaddy

Reply with quote  #2 
The size/ pitch charts are generally a good reference, but it really depends on the skill of the tabla maker and the tabla itself. I had a 5.75 made for C# which some charts will say is not possible but the tabla maker made it for that pitch. Generally speaking, the chart is a good place to start, but your tabla should sound best at right around one pitch. You may lower it to B and find it doesn't sound as good, or not. If you are saying that you would like to achieve C but cannot (with three straps over the gatta) then it's possible that pulling the straps (a little) could give you the extra tension you would need for C. There are threads you can find about how to do this but be careful. If you "over pull" or put more tension on the pudi than was intended, your liable to come back later and find your pudi has split. Its generally best to KNOW for what pitch the tabla / pudi was made, but in the absence of this information you should proceed slowly and cautiously. I've pulled straps and had some pudi's split while others didn't and sounded great. I've also pulled them, gotten a bad feeling about it and and loosened the tension just to be safe. Hope this helps.
Bhakta

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks PujaDaddy! I appreciate the information. I think I will just lower it B. When I was tuning my dayan up before it was around B and it sounded pretty good, so I think I'll give that a shot and see how I like it. As for what it was intended to be tuned to, I don't know. I bought several years ago used and only recently started playing it. Judging by the look of my tabla it would appear to be a Rikhi Ram tabla, though I am aware that this would be pretty hard to determine. Also, I've never had to change the pudis yet, which I suppose would have somewhat of an affect on the tuning. Anyhow, thanks again for the information!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.