INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
vincer

Reply with quote  #1 
hello, i'm new here,

i bought a pair of tablas in india a few months ago, it's probably not the best tablas ever as they costed me 5000rps probably not the worse either as the cheapest were 3000rps.
what i've noticed is the dayan produce a sound lower in pitch than what i usually hear and indian song or tablas videos, i checked with a tuner and it's tuned to A#, i've read here and there it should be tuned to C or C#, the wood blocks are very low already so i don't think i can tune it much higher using those blocks,
the woodblock are under 1 strap
would it be reasonnable to put two straps over the woodblocks to increase the skin tension?
and if it can be done which strap should i put over the wooblocks?
Nastika

Reply with quote  #2 
what is the diameter?

Dayans are made in different pitches, so yours may not necessarily be tunable to C/C#. While it is true that most sitar music is in that key, many other instruments and singers sing in different keys. For practice, and even solos, this won't affect you. It will only affect you when playing accompaniment.

What is the diameter of your dayan? This is one factor in determining its pitch range. Another is the thickness of the syhai/gab, with a thicker syhai the pitch is lower than it would be otherwise. Where in India did you get your tabla? That helps suggest the style of skin, and the thickness of the syhai.

As you can see, at some point you will have to let your ears decide what note sounds best. It will be the note with best sustain, and a nice sharp quality to it.

Now having said all that, tablas nearly always have more than one strap tasma (straps) over the gatta (blocks). You should be just fine to move the blocks back up, and add a strap. (and will have to eventually anyway)
vincer

Reply with quote  #3 
thanks a lot for your answer,

i will have to measure the diameter,i will try to take picture too if it can help
i bought my tablas in delhi from a sarangi player i couldn't discuss that kind of subject because his english wasn't really good and i didn't have a clue about this kind of thing when i bought it
i don't have much choice regarding the tunning because the
gatta are very low and if i raise them the sound becomes really dull, so putting two tasmas over the gatta will be more flexible tuning wise, at the same time considering what you said, i'm suprised that the personn who sold it to me didn't put two tasma over the gatta

another question if i choose to put 2 tasmas over the gattas is there a pattern i should follow(like one strap over the gatta out of two) or can i choose the tasmas randomly?
scodoha

Reply with quote  #4 
No surprise that only one strap was over each gatta, that's normal for a new dayan.
In a group of four straps counting from the left, the third strap is used first, the next is the second strap and then the fourth strap and finally the first strap.
gurdip

Reply with quote  #5 
Don't be afraid, go to the 2nd or 3rd strap if necessary. David has an image of this process on the site, http://chandrakantha.com/tablasite/articles/repair2.htm#TIGHTENING

As far as tuning, i've uploaded a quick video here,

I'm sure the forum members here will help you in any way...welcome to the forum!

Gurdip
Kala Kendar

vincer

Reply with quote  #6 
thanks everyone for the insightful posts and good to feel that people are willing to help a beginner like me,
so i measured my dayan's diameter it's 14cm or 5.5 inches,
meanwhile i tried to pass two tasmas over one gatta, but it was a failure
the tension was too high too simply pass a second strap over the gatta, maybe i should use a tool but i would prefer to hear from some knowledgeable people before doing something risky like that

so any advise on this matter is welcome
rajpuranik

Reply with quote  #7 
I'm not sure you should be doing anything to your dayan. It's new and it's tuned to A# - nothing wrong with that. If you want a C# tabla, you should go buy another dayan. Of course an A# tabla doesn't sound as "sharp" as a C/C# tabla, but it is useful in accompanying women singers who typically require dayan tuning from G - A# range. Male singer require higher tuning, and solo tabla also sounds good in higher tuning.

Forcing an A# tabla to C# would be like buying a viola and making it sound like a violin.

If I'm wrong, the experts please correct me!

Regards,

scodoha

Reply with quote  #8 
Any advice anyone here gives you on what note your dayan should be tuned to can only be speculative. Since tabla heads are so variable only a first hand examination can give an answer.
That said, pulling straps does take a bit of work and a hook tool is often helpful. 5.5 inches is almost a "standard" size and C is almost the standard tuning but that's no guarantee as to this particular drum's tuning. Find a knowledgeable "actual" person rather than we "virtual" entities. I'm not telling you to get a guru though, heaven forbid! Just an informal look by someone who knows should be enough for the tuning dilemma
vincer

Reply with quote  #9 
ok so here's what happend,
i removed all the gatta and try to pass two tasmas over the gatta using a screwdriver to lift the tasma,
i have been able to do it for one gatta but it has been impossible to do the same for the other gattas

so i went back to where i was in the begining just one tasma over each gatta and still that A# root note, i must say that even in this configuration there was a lot of tension and i pull the tasma very strongly to be able to pass the gatta underneath the tasma

here's what it sounds like now with the na and a thin strokes(i understand those strokes are very far from perfect (keep in mind that i'm total begginer)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1762421/na%2Btin.mp3

hee's a tabla sound that i'm really in love with and i really would like to emulate
if listen to both examples you will see there's a huge difference between the 2 to say the least

regarding finding a teacher that's something i really would like to do, unfortunately it's not easy in this part of the world,
eventhough i'm bound to spend quite some time india(my wife is indian) in the next few years so i will definitely try to take some lesson from a good teacher when i will be there
Nastika

Reply with quote  #10 
Your clip sounds nice, sharp, and resonant. I think I would leave it at that note based on the way it sounds, and from what you've said.

In the future, it will drift down. If you cant hammer the gatta down any further, you'll have to add the next strap (after hammering them back to the top)
When you do this, be sure to ADD a strap to the one that is already there, not take them all back out and attempt to add them 2 at a time.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.