INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Heartkore

Reply with quote  #1 
It's been years since I have played tabla, let alone been on this forum, but I just found a really good set for cheap. I am pretty much having to start all over. Even though I remember a few rhythms, my technique is lacking.

Anyway, I was wondering about this: I always had the issue of the dayan moving a lot while playing. I tilt it away from me slightly (like most players I see) but it still moves a lot. Is there a little secret or something I am missing? I don't have clumsy or terrible technique or anything (of course could always be better)

I saw one recent post of someone suggested to a new player to sit the dayan straight up, yet his avatar pic shows the dayan tilted, heh.

Thanks for any help.
quintino

Reply with quote  #2 
some people say a heavy dayan helps against moving. Is the rings diameter not to small ? the smaller the ring the more movement is served. I had a simular problem with my lightweight bayan and covered the rings with rubber. that helped a lot.
Heartkore

Reply with quote  #3 
That's an interesting idea covering the rings with rubber. I never thought of that. I just might have to start an arts and crafts project. Thanks for the idea!
paulrottman

Reply with quote  #4 
The rubber idea sounds like a good one. I experienced very little problems with the dayan moving around until I bought a cheap chutta that was just a little too small for the dayan to really "fit" into. You might find that a tabla ring with a slightly larger diameter may eliminate your problem (although finding good ones at a decent price may be more trouble than it's worth). Good luck!
hbajpai

Reply with quote  #5 
Dayan moving is an indication of the wrong pillow size for the dayan. Change the pillow.
As for positioning, use a position that is the most comfortable to you for that tabla.
gurdip

Reply with quote  #6 
I have to agree with hbajpai, chances are your rings are not correctly matched with your dayan, your ring is too small!! Good suggestion would be to walk into your closest Tabla Shop for a new set of rings! I think there was an earlier article of someone actually making their own.

Good Luck!

Gurdip
Kala Kendar

rapture

Reply with quote  #7 
it could also be an indication that you are resting your hand too heavily on the dayan. or that you are hitting it too hard.

but it's probably the ring

-r
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.