INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
tabla_

Reply with quote  #1 
What is the standard height of a dayan? Also, do you find the height makes a difference to the sound in anyway? Is the height personal prefrence?

I have recently been given a 11" dayan, however, i find this HUGE! My shoulder also hurts a little after playing for a while. (Maybe because ive been use to playing a smaller Dayan).

Any comments will be appreciated.

Thanking you.
Dhani_

Reply with quote  #2 
Yes, 11" is slightly insane. In my experience the average size is about 9 1/2" to slightly over 10".
Tablaseek

Reply with quote  #3 
Hi Tabla_,
I would not worry too much about the height of the Dayan if the sound is good.
What you need to do is to add an extra cusion to sit on so that the distance from the surface of the tabla to your shoulder is the same as if you had been playing with a 9" Dayan. The shoulder would not be under extra stress if you adjust your sitting height in relation to the tabla surface.

In other words, if the Dayan is 2" higher than normal, then sit 2" higher than before and you will be right.

I hope what I say makes sense.

Cheers
Tablaseek
tabla_

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks for the replies. And Yes, that does make sense.

Im under the impression that the average height of a Dayan is 10"?

What size is yours!?

Tabla that is.. :wink:
hbajpai

Reply with quote  #5 
There are no standards. Try out different ones and pick a height range that suits you considering your ideal sitting position i.e if you prefer sitting elevated all the time or flat on the ground. Playing style also comes into play. Keep in mind, the type or style of playing you prefer also impact how much force versus how much agility versus delicateness your require. Furthermore the duration of playing will all be impacted by the height of the tabla.

As suggested, experiment with pillows under you as well as under the tabla. Try out different heights and find your ideal height and diameter.

I have tabla's that range from 10"-12" in height and 5"-7" in diameter that stepp every 1/4" in diameter. My personal preference is 10.75-11" tall and 6 or 6.5 in diameter.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.