pbercker

Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Betaji"
What's your favourite Mukada? I'm thinking of putting
together my very own compositions, but finding it
rather difficult. Any suggestions, ideas or sites or
what you play... please post them.

I had to look up "mukhada" (also mukheda) in David Courtney's book - fundamentals of tabla - to remind myself what they are.
Quote:
a very small phrase or composition ending in sam. it may or may not have a tihai
Being so small it's easy to forget they are even there as a seperate entity, "a small embellishment" ending on sam, they often provide an element of surprise - tension - and then relief (or resolution) at the end of theka cycle .

Parenthetically, this sense of tension and release is often evident amongst audience members at concert who are knowledgeable enough to stay with the count with their hand and fingers. I remember when I first started going to concerts that I could not figure out what these people were on about that gesturing frantically like that during a concert! But now I have learned to gesture frantically like the best of them! (this may well be entirely lost on anyone here who has never yet been to a live concert, be it a tabla so or tabla accompaniment).

At any rate it's hard to imagine that a mukhada being so small might even include its own tihai! Here are 2 of them, one from David's book - FOCUS OF KAIDAS OF TABLA - PAGE 24 and one from FUNDAMENTALS OF TABLA chapter 3 - elementary material - page 59).

dha dhin dhin dha | dha dhin dhin dha |
dha tin tin Na | {dhadha} {tita} {dhadha} {tunNa} | DHA!!

dha dhin dhin dha | dha dhin dhin dha |
dha tin tin Na | {TaTa} {tirakia} {dhadha} {tirakita} | DHA!!

But don't forget that this very itself has some examples of mukhadas:

http://chandrakantha.com/tablasite/articles/cad2.htm

PB

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
va4leo

Reply with quote  #3 
i believe the focus here is on DADRA mukades...not teentaal!

Can't wait to see what comes up and try them out!

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "va4leo"
i believe the focus here is on DADRA mukades...not teentaal!

Can't wait to see what comes up and try them out!
ooops ... that pesky subject line does say dadra .... well back to the drawing board!

Here are 2 laggies for dadra:

http://www.hinduexpressions.com/2012/03/dadra-on-tabla.html

Here is a one variation on a laggi in dadra from Aloke Dutta's book TABLA: LESSONS AND PRACTICE page 167

tu na dha ti | dha na tu na | ta ti ta na
tu na dha ti | dha na na {kete | taka thaka tere kete}

"tha" = strike the gab with all 4 fingers, pronounced ta

I am *assuming* that the parenthetical material could be viewed as mukhada due to the sudden density of the bols right before sam

Can anyone verify this with a bit more authority that I can muster?

pb

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
va4leo

Reply with quote  #5 
Beautiful Laggis on the site you posted Pascal!

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "va4leo"
Beautiful Laggis on the site you posted Pascal!
I especially like the second one in part because it uses some phrases that one sees all the time is various kaidas!

Pascal

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.