INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
chrisitar

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello all, I am in need of a custom made mizrab to accommodate an injury I have on my right index fingertip. Anyone know where I can get a made-to-order mizrab?

FYI I'm thinking of trying a child sized benares style with rubber coating.

Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "chrisitar"
Hello all, I am in need of a custom made mizrab to accommodate an injury I have on my right index fingertip. Anyone know where I can get a made-to-order mizrab?

FYI I'm thinking of trying a child sized benares style with rubber coating.
Um, you might want to PM Lars, last time I was there he had some really nice new ones, some of which were double-wire with the heavy duty rubber coating, as opposed to the real cheap thin single wire with the real cheap plastic-rubber.

If you look at his web-page, he lists them as double mizrabs, under "Sitar Accessories". I've got a few and they are quite nicely made and fit rather well.

Good luck. Hope the injury is not permanent. :wink:

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks, I talked to Lars already though. Have you always used rubber coated mizrabs? I've never tried one before, this would be just temporary until the burn heals, I usually use a 1" benares style. But since the burn is directly on my callous :x I can't use regular 'adult' size mizrabs for a few weeks.

Reply with quote  #4 
Lars sent me some mizrabs a few weeks ago, they are really good, nice thick gauge. One had plastic coating which I use when my finger gets sore from the order mizrab. I don't use it as my main mizrab because it's a tad to big.
OM GUY

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "chrisitar"
Thanks, I talked to Lars already though. Have you always used rubber coated mizrabs? I've never tried one before, this would be just temporary until the burn heals, I usually use a 1" benares style. But since the burn is directly on my callous :x I can't use regular 'adult' size mizrabs for a few weeks.

No, I don't use them any more, but I bought them because in case I too get an injury, it may ease the pain, plus I'm a mizrab whore. I'm a firm believer that one can never have too many!

I'm a big fan of the wire wrapped Benares style. On the bare version, I've painstakingly sat while watching TV and wrapped gold thread where the wire wrap should go. Works pretty well too.

Reply with quote  #6 
I used the rubber coated kind when I first started out. It was/is very comfortable and may be a good bet. Then what happened is I gradually lost mizrabs...first the rubber coated (recently refound), then I switched to the wire-wrapped, which I loved. Then I lost it (never recovered) and switched to the plain "free" ones Lars sent me with the sitar. Was surprised to find they were perfectly comfortable to me, although I'd been playing for some time. Lost that one and am now using some Trippy sent me from Varanasi with my surb! I apparently have a bad track record with mizrabs.

Lars has a double mizrab in rubber coating...spreading the contact area out like that may be the trick. Double in the sense that it has two parallel back portions.
CheesecakeTomek

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "nicneufeld"
I apparently have a bad track record with mizrabs.
Everyone does

A great trick is to take a handkerchief and thread it through the mizrab when you are not using it. Keep this near your practice space and you will never lose it. Another good one is to keep them on a safety pin f you have something like a spiral-bound notebook for your sitar notes.

Recently I have fallen into the habit of keeping them on my tarab pegs, which works pretty well but now and then they still manage to "go into hiding" for a few days.

Just a few thoughts!
sitarfish

Reply with quote  #8 
Mizrab on taraf pegs, then a rubber band across the two neighboring pegs keeps me from losing mine Now I only lose about one a year.
OM GUY

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "CheesecakeTomek"
Quote:
Originally Posted by "nicneufeld"
I apparently have a bad track record with mizrabs.
Everyone does

A great trick is to take a handkerchief and thread it through the mizrab when you are not using it. Keep this near your practice space and you will never lose it. Another good one is to keep them on a safety pin f you have something like a spiral-bound notebook for your sitar notes.

Recently I have fallen into the habit of keeping them on my tarab pegs, which works pretty well but now and then they still manage to "go into hiding" for a few days.

Just a few thoughts!
Another good "trick" to employ is un-hooking the 7th wire from it's chikari post and hooking the mizrab over the post and replace the string over the post again. :wink:

Reply with quote  #10 
Ah, yes! forgot about that one!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.