INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
mattm312

Reply with quote  #1 
I've asked this question before, but now I'm posting it in a more conspicuous place:

Has anyone ever used that cryowire stuff from perfectthird.com?
rex@sitar.co.za

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Matt, sorry you didn't get any replies!

I just got some new spools of cryostrings that I ordered from SitarDoc, who has the best deal around. I spent all yesterday restringing and tuning.. all 18 strings, it was fun . I did a maintenance jawari and polished the frets too and the sitar has never sounded better. I'll need a week or so of heavy playing for things to settle and to give accutate feedback, but so far the cryo strings are far better than my old ones... crisp, lots of sustain, extra sparkle and a nice silky texture. Best sitar strings I've played or heard. I can't comment on longevity yet, of course, but reports are they last many times longer than ordinary strings... I'll let you know. I usually snap the Ma string once every 3 weeks or so with ordinary steel strings, so if I can get more life out of it, great.

Interestingly, I had been pushing the bridge back ever so slightly over the past two years to compensate for some intonation issues. After the restringing and jawari, I put the bridge back in its original position, and the intonation across all the frets was perfect! I'm not sure if it was the strings, jawari, a combination of both or what, but the sitar is like new again.

- Rex
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #3 
The good doctor has set me up with these strings a few times in years past. Good stuff. It has a certain rough look to it but feels smooth, sounds great, corrects intonation as new strings magically do and lasts a long time.

Reply with quote  #4 
Hm, sounds interesting. I might have to consider it next time I purchase strings.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.