INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
tommy

Reply with quote  #1 
Hey all,

I know I rarely get a chance to come on here anymore, but I'm in the midst of my masters thesis so the internet and sitar have to take a back-seat . Anywho, if you're bored or genuinely curious, I've recorded a song for classical guitar, shehnai, arghul (6-note bamboo reed woodwind from egypt) and a few other things. I was curious what you guys and gals would think of it. Now I must warn all the shehnai purists that the reed that larkinthemorning sold me was pretty rubbish so I has to replace it with oboe reed (similar construction just higher in pitch) because let's face it, the supply of shehnai reeds in music shops in Dublin are non-existent. Anywho, there are a few other songs on there as well, one uses baglama saz in a post-rock setting and the others are electronica and jazzy-rock. I hope this doesn't seem like a shameless, plug, I genuinely would like your opinions on it because I respect the musical taste's of people on this board quite alot. Enjoy! http://www.myspace.com/thomasmcnallymusic

-Tommy

p.s., the one I'm talking about is called "Sunday Triple" cheers!
adunc069

Reply with quote  #2 
I like the delay effect. Kind of a creepy sound.
tommy

Reply with quote  #3 
thanks for listening adunc. I agree with the creepy sound, I actually quite like how the delay adds to that effect. I'm not a big fan of the midi drums though and hope to put live dol and tabla in there at some point. If anyone else is refraining from posting because they hate it, please feel free to tell me what you dislike about it, I appreciate all forms of criticism and I won't bite your head off if you think it's terrible heh. Hopefully soon I'll have the sitar skills to record a basic pure raga to get opinions on because I'm sans teacher at the moment. Thanks again all
Drew

Reply with quote  #4 
well,

I think that type of music is much more fun to play than to listen to on a cd.

I do stuff like this all the time and really enjoy it. However, I have listened to a few recordings people have made of us and it takes me back to the above point about it being much more fun to play than to listen to.

Now, if I am going to give you a musicians take on it....

it was great, very tastey notes, it certainly has a vibe to it. I dont know if I would chose creepy as the vibe but, I can see that being part of it. I think you did a great job and keep it coming as I would love to hear more.

Also forgot to add that I liked the guitar phrasings. I can tell you have practiced! It also had a spanish flare to it and was getting the feeling that you were about to bust out some flamenco. I think its great that you can blend in all the different styles.

Did you play each instrument yourself?

Always have 1 eye open
SitarMac

Reply with quote  #5 
I really LOVED everything except the shenai parts..........I just didn't think it sounded good for anything except texture. I do know that you were using reeds that were not designed for shenai, so I guess the sound would not be as it normally would. I want to tell you sort of a side-note. To this date the BEST ICM concert I ever attended was Bis'Millah Khan in the 80's in Atlanta. I could not stand shenai, but went on the advice of my guru and to this day I have yet to go to a concert that just tore the walls down like that one did. One thing that I noticed and paid very close attention to were the multitude of reeds that were being used. At one point, I stood very close to the side stage and could see very clearly the tassle of reeds that weere being used by some of the back up guys. Thes reeds were VERY thin and not the 2 by fours that come with shenais that I see for sale. I think what a player must do is sand of carefully scrape each side of the reed creating 2 lips......If you have that tassle that came with the shenai, give it a shot....You might get some really good results.

Reply with quote  #6 
Hi Tommy,
My two cents- Fun to play, someone said, but not as much fun to listen to. To put it more precisely, it is a very fun recording for the ears- soundwise, etc. but what is missing is "melody". A repeating theme, an anchor point to come back to after each improv section- that is what makes a "song" as opposed to a jam. Like a good raga, the gat shows up several times and that sticks in your mind. Keep it up and thanks for sharing.
tommy

Reply with quote  #7 
thanks for the input guys, yes I played all the instruments on every song on that site. I can see what you're saying about the absence of melody in some parts. I think that's because I had originally intended for the song to have vocals so maybe that's why. It's still a work in progress of course.

I would've killed to see that B Khan show you're talking about sitarman. The jugalbhandi recording he did with V Khan (the later one) is one of my all time favs. I was the same as you, thought the nasal sound of the shenai was annoying but that recording changed me forever. If you have any other good shenai recording recommendations, please let me know. Have you seen the vid they have a B Khan on Pat Moutal's site? Pretty cool.
rex@sitar.co.za

Reply with quote  #8 
Hey Tommy... LOVED the electric guitar in the first section. Like the rest, I think the whole thing would be stronger without the shennai.

If I may ask: how were you producing the electric guitar sound in the first lead section? I've been trying for months now to get that quality of tone... anything you could share?
tommy

Reply with quote  #9 
Hey Rex, yeah I have to say I love the sound of my electric guitar as well. It's actually kind of funny how I got that sound... I have a custom neckthrough electric built by Boris Dommenget, an amazing german luthier. I paid a good deal for it but it is the best sounding and most versatile guitar I've even played in my life. When I was in the studio though, I played it through this http://www.roland.com/products/en/Micro-CUBE/ . So I have a high end guitar playing through a 100 dollar mini practice amp, my recording prof thought I was nuts. However, that amp is the most amazing little thing ever. It has about 20 different great sounding effects on it and I just lined it straight into the desk. I can't remember what effect I was actually using at the time to be honest though.

I've tried a few different normal bolt-on neck guitars through that amp and they didn't sound quite as good, so it probably has alot to do with the guitar as well. The only other thing is that I played that entire electric guitar part with a closed-fist picking technique. It allows that delicate sound that is still very full and resonant when used on a neck-through guitar with heavy gauge strings (I use 11's). Hope it helps!

Also to Drew, that's funny you mentioned busting out with some flamenco stuff. Before I brought in the shehnai, I played its melodies on classical guitar as well which made the whole song more spanish. However, between the rhythm class guitar and the electric, another guitar part made the mix just sound too narrow so I put in shehnai. On a side note though... do any of you know where I can find an 8 or 12 note shehnai so that I can do more western stuff with it?
rex@sitar.co.za

Reply with quote  #10 
Thanks Tommy, that's fascinating!!!
Drew

Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "tommy"
When I was in the studio though, I played it through this http://www.roland.com/products/en/Micro-CUBE/ .

Tommy,

I have good news for you as I have been a fan of the microcube. There is a new bad-boy practice amp in town! its called the VOX DA5

This thing has just passed the microcube in my opinion and I think you should definately check it out. Its the same price but it is a step above the MC.

http://www.voxamps.co.uk/products/da/da5.htm

It is unreal just how great this little amp sounds. I also put my Sitar through it and it sounds better than any other amp Ive tried it with.

If I want more volume, I just run it through a larger speaker or p/a without messing with the sound and it is top notch!

Always have 1 eye open
tommy

Reply with quote  #12 
very cool Drew, thanks for that. It's great to see manufacturers building something practical and affordable to musicians. Exactly as you said, you can always power-amp it to a bigger system.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.