INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
Deji

Reply with quote  #16 
Thanks, Kirya ! I have a bad creaking problem with one HR sitar. I read your post, was frustrated…what kind of plastic ?? How thick ? Then just for the heck of it I picked up a small ziplock bag and cut off a small piece and put it under the main string. It works so far.
Sitar repair is thin on the ground here in NYC. So I guess it's me.
rex@sitar.co.za

Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Kirya"
Scott Hackleman solved my creaking problem too -- it was related to the slots where the wire runs through the double nut at the top and then the baaj wire slot at the main bridge as well.

Graphic lubrication (pencil lead) and slight adjustment of the slots solved the problem.
A small strip of Teflon tape between string and the nut groove works really well too.
(You can purchase Teflon tape at any hardware store, for less than $1/roll.)
sitar_shah

Reply with quote  #18 
+1 for the idea of cutting small squares of a ziplock bag plastic and placing them under the main string slot on the main bridge and under the peg side contact surfaces as needed. i needed to put them under all of them to make the creaking go away. Strangely enough, a new main string and a touch-up jawari seems to have solved the problem for now. i keep a small zip lock bag and scissors in my sitar box just in case.
Lars

Reply with quote  #19 
Nut slotting files, they have tapered edges. Then a little graphite and you're good to go.

Lars

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.