INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
SallyRhodes

Reply with quote  #1 
I've been playing the sitar for about a year and a half, and just last week my langot (the little bone anchor for the sympathetic strings) cracked and fell off. I ordered another one online, but some of the pieces of the old one are still stuck inside the sitar. I've tried everything, and i can't get them out. How can i do this without hurting the sitar? and once i do it, how do i properly install the new langot?
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #2 
Langhot is the big piece that includes the bone taraf peg holding the taraf strings.
What's the name for the actual peg that holds the taraf strings??

You could, IF you're careful, manually drill a small hole THROUGH the broken bit & use the drill bit to slowly work it loose.
Both broken pieces will give you the correct size to reinsert after you get a new one.

If this isn't possible you could still drill the piece out so what's left of it falls inside & maybe can drop through the neck & out of the peg holes somewhere.

If you do this Be Extremely Careful as the whole langhot could explode when you retune!!!!!

Nick
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks for the clarification. 8)

Nick
SallyRhodes

Reply with quote  #4 
thanks a lot for the advice. Yes, it is the tapered peg that shattered, and pieces of that are stuck. I think I'll play it safe and contact Sitars Etc where I bought the instrument. Hopefully They can fix it for me :-)
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #5 
Strangely Ironic!!!
I found out on saturday somebody has done this very thing of breaking this same taraf post on a sitar I left in a shop to be sold on my behalf in Manchester, UK. :? :?

Nick
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.