INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Fil

Reply with quote  #1 
I will soon have two sitars it seems, as I saw a decent looking old one on eBay that just may be worth the $280 I got it for...or maybe not. Having repaired many a violin, even if this sitar is a fire starter now, I'll be able to strip it down, set it up OK and discover what it can sound like. If it's total rubbish I can always sell it in better condition than I got it and maybe make a few bucks too. Or maybe not. ;-)

No Hiren Roy to be sure, but it just may turn out OK. Going from the limited info from the seller and not being in any way an expert on Sitars, my best guess is it's a low cost model from the 1980's or 90's; a cut above a tourist wall hanger, but with no maker's label, possibly an el-cheapo student model. The tabli grain is curvy and not centred, so not chosen with any care, but we shall see how it sounds. I do like the vine pen work though and the gourd and tabli carving, although not top notch, is pleasant enough. Top tumba is a nice looking gourd and I like the mottled finish of both gourds. Whatever, it's better looking than my current, rather plain but functional cheapy that I rebuilt.

Btw, I'm no cheapskate when it come to instruments, but I'm not going to spend up big until I see how much I like playing sitar.

Anyhoo, have a look and see what you think.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j210/Coyne53/Clipboard02-3_zps11afacd7.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j210/Coyne53/Clipboard04_zps1ec84ab7.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j210/Coyne53/Clipboard03-1_zpsc8806031.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j210/Coyne53/Clipboard05_zps1fb99b64.jpg
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #2 
MMM!?!?!!?
Looks quite nice but don't strip it, Not yet anyway!!!
3rd pic makes it look like it may be from Miraj near Mumbai. but 280 is a good buy I think!!!

Nick
Fil

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "trippy
MMM!?!?!!?
Looks quite nice but don't strip it, Not yet anyway!!!
3rd pic makes it look like it may be from Miraj near Mumbai. but 280 is a good buy I think!!!

Nick
Oh, stripping it down will only happen if it's damaged in transit or the neck joint is loose or whatever. For starters, I'll just tune it up and check the action height, jawari etc and see how its sings or not. From then on it will be a slow process of discovery, which is what can be so enjoyable and challenging (OK, frustrating too) about instruments.

I am quietly chuffed at the price though, assuming it doesn't sound like Donald Duck.

Btw, what makes you say Miraj instead of Calcutta? Just curious, as I don't yet recognise the stylistic tells between the two manufacturing centres.
Greg

Reply with quote  #4 
Yea Looks nice...

8)

Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #5 
That tailpiece has the look of something Rikhi Ram (Delhi) put out in the early 60's. This instrument could have been made around that area sometime around then. I rather like the look of this sitar. The carving on the upper tumba and those main pegs is most appealing. You may want to hang onto this one. The absence of a boutique badge doesn't necessarily mean it's a car chaser. I'd love to get my paws on this one. TNX for these pics.

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Sitarfixer"
That tailpiece has the look of something Rikhi Ram (Delhi) put out in the early 60's. This instrument could have been made around that area sometime around then. I rather like the look of this sitar. The carving on the upper tumba and those main pegs is most appealing. You may want to hang onto this one. The absence of a boutique badge doesn't necessarily mean it's a car chaser. I'd love to get my paws on this one. TNX for these pics.
Mmm older than I thought perhaps, from the good old days when they were made from scratch in the one shop? Who knows. Whatever, thanks for the feedback. I can't wait for it to get here and find out what it sounds like and looks like up close. I'm hoping I have a winner here.

It's being sent today, but with Easter this week it may take until later next week until it arrives here in Tasmania. I'll take some decent photos of it when it does and post them up for you.

Btw I checked out you website and just love your work and what you are doing for Indian music generally. Must have been wonderful to be on stage with Ravi and Anoushka. I was devastated when he died, as I saw him live in Melbourne in the 1970s just as I first got into listening to Indian Music (his three classical ragas album with Chatur Lal on tabla...I still have that LP). He looked around to see who was maybe understanding what he was doing and picked me out from this huge audience. He played the first raga pretty much directly at me it seemed, looking away but then coming back to see how I was reacting...it was stunning and very humbling, I was in tears of joy by the end.
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #7 
Actually, as I took a better look at the pics, I thought OOHHH it's actually VERY nice so please don't strip it if you can avoid this. I thought Miraj at first because of the lovely natural finish gourds. The wood has some really beautiful carving too!!!

As Tony says, I'D like to have my paws on it too!!!!!

Nick
shurbahar

Reply with quote  #8 
The bridge look like it's deerhorn, is it?
Fil

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "shurbahar"
The bridge look like it's deerhorn, is it?
Yes I wondered that, from the discolouration under the strings. I don't know yet, as the seller didn't know either. Maybe camel bone?

I understand that deerhorn is rare now and only naturally dropped horn is proper to use as the poor things are endangered. It would be nice if it was horn and the jawari is still OK, or capable of being reworked if needed.

I have some African blackwood (grenadilla) which is used for uilleann pipe chanters, if I need to replace the bridges. Much tougher than ebony, but quite abrasive on turning tools, chisel edges etc. I've not used delrin for anything, so don't know if it's better than blackwood or not.
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #10 
Not so much endangered as the clowns were shooting the deer to get totally unusable oily deerhorn rather than the dead & dried stuff we use. that's why it's technically banned. Bone is pure cream coloured whereas Hiren, deerhorn, has those ghostly grey bits in it.
Nick
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #11 
That Mr. Monkey is dead on ! " you monkey, yooo " Yeah ! The Miraj Homies used to pay the local kids 10 roops for each dropped antler/s found dropped and dry on the ground. That's one way to get rid of the little curtain climbers !

Reply with quote  #12 
I bow to Tony!!!
I've managed to get some 'proper' top Hiren bridges here but there aren't many around & they really ARE good. Loads of jawari work still on them.
Must get used to posting pics here as there's soooo many gorgeous sitars to show you all such as the fabbo EIGHT, yes EIGHT string Hiren Roy of about 40 years old I got here in Varanasi & paid more for than any other sitar so far.
If any of you are on facebook you can see a shot of me with it in the shop I bought it from. Absolutely one of the most lovely easily playable & responsive instruments I've ever played & a credit to HR!!!
All offers over a grand please, IF I wanted to sell it, that is!!!

Nick
Fil

Reply with quote  #13 
Yes, Trippy Monkey see and do, please! ;-)

Always like to see some nice sitars. I've been trawling through past posts looking at what photos people have been posting. Also drooling at Tony's website.

Btw, I noticed someone else managed to put thumbnail pictures embedded in their posts which linked to larger photos on Photobucket or wherever.

Can anyone explain how to do that? Its better than just having a boring url linky.

Edit: Not to worry. I figured it out from Markoz12 thread and his lovely Hiren Roy purchase (what a sweet looking sitar that is, lucky chap).
Markoz12

Reply with quote  #14 
Yes, clickable thumbnail pictures is better I think as I have been on some forums where people show the largest pictures and to some forum members it's annoying.
The thumbnail option is a much better method.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.