INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Blind Lemon Mike

Reply with quote  #1 

Hey, 

this is for sale locally. 

Looks reminiscent of the old Rikhi Ram Necklace Style Sitars.

I looked around a bit on the omniscient intergoogle but did not find one that looks just like this...

anyone has a tip what it is and if it could indeed be a rikhi ram?

kind regards 

Michael

sitar1.jpeg  sitar2.jpeg  sitar3.jpeg 

katyrow

Reply with quote  #2 
It would very likely have the familiar decal.  You should go play it.  Might be better than a Rikhi Ram.  
barend

Reply with quote  #3 
No, doesn't have the RR decal on the neck.
Blind Lemon Mike

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by barend
No, doesn't have the RR decal on the neck.

oh yeah, right, didn't notice that [rolleyes] [wink]

that's why i ask you guys for further expertise based on other indicators.

Owner claims to have collected it there himself in 1982. 

regards 
Michael 
Blind Lemon Mike

Reply with quote  #5 
had a look... I don't really think it is a Rikhi Ram, but the only one i have played so far is a much younger model (from around 2005 i think... )
Is it a decent sitar? Maybe, but its hard to tell since the setup was not very good at all.

Jawari extremly open (old Shankar style...) I find it hard to tell how this would sound if it was set up properly... 

regards
Michael
katyrow

Reply with quote  #6 
I'd get it only if the price is such that you won't be disappointed if it turns out to be a dud after proper setup.  If you put some card stock under the front of the legs of the bridge tilting in backward, that should give you an idea of what it would sound like with less open jawari.  Always the first thing I do before breaking out the file to resurface.  If the seller wants a RR price, I'd pass.  
Blind Lemon Mike

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by katyrow
.  If the seller wants a RR price, I'd pass.  

yeah well, would be cheap for a necklace RR but too expensice ( at least for me) to just "try" 

I had a Bridge of mine with me that has a more closed (kind of Nikhil Banerjee Style) Jawari  but it didn't really Sound that good either.  

However, the seller seemed like a really genuine guy, just not knowledgeable about sitars at all,  I think the might have sold him something there, as it happens with tourists... 

thanks for your assesement anyway, I know this threads are kind of annoying.

In fact, I indeed search for a cheaper Sitar that i can try to do work on without messing up my own Sitar that i play with. So for instance, I would like to get into Jawari Work and things like that, but don't want to ruin my own (at the moment, done by my teacher) completely, which is likely what's going to happen....

kind regards, 
Michael

mizrable

Reply with quote  #8 
these old gold label RR’s came in these sweet old black custom wood boxes with red felt lining
usually a rikki ramm badge on the inside of the box too
might wanna ask the seller what the case looks like...
Blind Lemon Mike

Reply with quote  #9 
@mizrable ( great pun) 

thanks for the background info.  It was a standard "artificial leather" case... 
regards

Michael
streetdogs

Reply with quote  #10 

Visit us online to see our unique collection of new Assamese video and many other northeast entertainment stuff. Visit us to know more.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.