INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
barend

Reply with quote  #1 
I am changing the tuning of one of my RS style sitars into a VK tuning. So I have one sitar in RS tuning and the other in VK tuning just to have some variety.
So I dropped off the low Pa and moved the jor string to that peg and replaced the low Sa with a 'Ga' string.
Is that all there is to do?

Are the string distances at the bridge and the nut the same as with the RS tuning?
or do I have to file in some new string slots?
or do I have to change something else?
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #2 
That's pretty much it. The jawari would be about the only thing to consider changing to get that parched dry VK GP sound. Maybe hike over the longest taraf string away from the others to get that left pinky noodling thing set up.

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Sitarfixer"
Maybe hike over the longest taraf string away from the others to get that left pinky noodling thing set up.
or consider retuning the first three tarafs to Ni Sa Sa as opposed to Sa Ni Sa so the outermost taraf is at Ni.

barend

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
That's pretty much it. The jawari would be about the only thing to consider changing to get that parched dry VK GP sound. Maybe hike over the longest taraf string away from the others to get that left pinky noodling thing set up.
I already have the tarafs on both my sitar in the VK style for a long time. So a very tiny piece of bone to get more space for the lowest taraf to pick it with the pinky. And then tuned the lowest tarafs to Ni, Dha, Sa , Sa etc.

So the string slots at the nut for the jor and the Ga string are exactly the same as on a RS style sitar?
The intonation of the jor string is still very good when you move it to the 3rd peg. I thought it would change because of the different curve of the frets.

Is there a special reason for moving the jor to the 3rd peg instead of the 2nd peg witht the VK tuning?
The gap between the main string and the jor string is much wider then with a RS style sitar. This has a different feel and you need to adjust your right hand technique a bit.
ram.sitar

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "barend"
Is there a special reason for moving the jor to the 3rd peg instead of the 2nd peg?
The gap between the main string and the jor string is much wider then with a RS style sitar. This has a different feel and you need to adjust your right hand technique a bit.
@barend
First of all, I would like to say, you can add strings and tune them, as UVK Style sitar on PRS style sitar / change jawari inclination to fit UVK Style, but you will never get the similar tonal quality as Gandhar Pancham (GP) sitar usually have. Measurement of Tabli, curvature, dand, tar gahan, distance between strings vary on huge extent between these two varieties.

Yes, there is a reason of greater distance within main string and jor string in UVK style sitar. Due to forceful execution of right hand work, jor string sound should not overlap the sound of main string.
Another reason may be, PRS style sitar demands execution of meend on Kharaj-Laraj string, which is absent in UVK style GP sitar.
Longer distance between Kharaj-Pa and jor string helps in execution of meend on PRS style sitar. So Jor string becomes closer to main string.
You have correctly noticed that you need to adjust your right hand technique accordingly.

Ramprapanna Bhattacharya
http://ramprapanna.webs.com
cabernethy

Reply with quote  #6 
Interesting !!!

I am doing exactly the same thing - having just ordered a set of ebony bridges from lars - the world in turning
barend

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "ram.sitar"
First of all, I would like to say, you can add strings and tune them, as UVK Style sitar on PRS style sitar / change jawari inclination to fit UVK Style, but you will never get the similar tonal quality as Gandhar Pancham (GP) sitar usually have. Measurement of Tabli, curvature, dand, tar gahan, distance between strings vary on huge extent between these two varieties.
You are absolutely right about the different tonal quality. I think VK style sitars have a bit more mid range.
I am just trying it to see if I like the tuning. I especially like the use of the Ga string from time to time to give some extra 'harmony' to the sound.
You say the distances of the strings are different. What do you mean by that? Because others said that the string distances of a RS style sitar are the same as on a VK style sitar (besides the removed string from the 2nd peg of course).
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #8 
On Shujaat Khans sitar, at least the one I got to work on, the four strings after MA and SA Were much more evenly spaced than on a kharaj type sitar. I think this may have been set up in order to make the slow even arpeggio effect from the chikari on down to the bronze SA easier to produce. Something of a specialty case but there it is. If you're going for a quick stop gap conversion, I wouldn't worry about it.

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "barend"
You say the distances of the strings are different. What do you mean by that? Because others said that the string distances of a RS style sitar are the same as on a VK style sitar (besides the removed string from the 2nd peg of course).
@barend
Well explained by Sitarfixer.

Ramprapanna Bhattacharya
http://ramprapanna.webs.com
barend

Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
On Shujaat Khans sitar, at least the one I got to work on, the four strings after MA and SA Were much more evenly spaced than on a kharaj type sitar.......Something of a specialty case but there it is.
so you are saying that on a 'normal' VK style sitar the string distances are exactly the same as on a RS sitar? I am little confused here
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #11 
On a side by side comparison - RS to VK - the VK SA string would be between the SA and low PA string on an RS sitar. The remaining strings on the VK would be a bit more spread out to reach over to the matching #7 chikari string position. On Shujaat Khans particular sitar ( Rikhi Ram new stuff ) those four remaining strings were spread out a bit more , evenly, not in pairs like the two chikari and the two Ga/Pa steel strings. As there is no real measurement or standardization, there is a lot of left field grass to roam around in on this topic.

Reply with quote  #12 
thanks. I already suspected the jor string was a bit too far away from my main string.
barend

Reply with quote  #13 
wasn't so happy with my 'converting setup'. So this morning I moved the jor string back to the 2nd peg and kept the ga string on the 4th peg.
I will file an extra bridge slot for the ga string between the old low Pa and Sa slots.
This will have the strings more evenly spaced and gives you more space to pick the ga and pa string. Also I like the RS style close distance for the jor to the main string more. In my VK converting the gap was too wide for my taste. I like it so far. Feels like the best of both worlds.

(the extra slot for the main string was already there)
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e306/barendtromp/S5002302sitar2.jpg
SitarMac

Reply with quote  #14 
One of the strangest venues I've ever seen an ICM concert was in Atlanta in the Howell Mill road area (This was not a very....desirable area at the time) at a hotel the Maharishi had bought (Isn't that the TM guy?). Anyway, Debu choudhary and his son were playing and his son had a VK Rikhi Ram tuned to RS style.......This is going to derail the thread a little, but his Sitar had the most gorgeous, rich, deep tone.....I jsut couldn't believe what I was hearing from his instrument. Here comes the derailment, but I'm just going to mention that the Professor D and his son both had the most beautiful sounding Sitars that I think I ever heard. We always mention Jawaris either sounding open (RS) or closed (VK, or middle (NB). I'd venture that Professor D has his between NB and RS with a symp bridge that is the most sensitive I've ever heard. Anyway.....sorry about that......His son's GP style sitar was tuned RS style to great effect. Should it no be so the other way around?
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.