INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
pbercker

Reply with quote  #1 
The musicking website has a nice tihai posted on a classic peshkar, but something about it puzzles me.

http://imageshack.us/a/img6/681/peshkartihai.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

At the end, what does that mean "start 2nd"? As it stands it doesn't end on sam, so should it be duplicated a second time?

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
tablataal

Reply with quote  #2 
I believe they are saying just play the whole thing 3 times, so start 2nd means start the 2nd time around from the beginning.

However it is a strange tihai because it takes up 56 beats or 3.5 cycles of teentaal NOT 4 cycles or 3. I don't know if its improperly labled teentaal though it does look like a teentaal peshkar. I calculated this based on the fact that 2nd palla starts on 20th beat.

Not sure if others can shed light on what I calculated I didn't actually bother playing it yet.
pbercker

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "tablataal"
I believe they are saying just play the whole thing 3 times, so start 2nd means start the 2nd time around from the beginning.

However it is a strange tihai because it takes up 56 beats or 3.5 cycles of teentaal NOT 4 cycles or 3. I don't know if its improperly labled teentaal though it does look like a teentaal peshkar. I calculated this based on the fact that 2nd palla starts on 20th beat.

Not sure if others can shed light on what I calculated I didn't actually bother playing it yet.
I suspect there's some kind of mistake here. I've tracked it down - it's from the austin tabla database where it's written as follows:

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/3527/tihai.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I suspect that "dha ti dha---" is really meant to somehow fit within the last 4 slots 3 times.

My best guess is that it really should be like this:

http://imageshack.us/a/img708/2907/tihai2.jpg

This makes more sense to me since the last phrase lends on sam completing the short phrase "dha ti dha-".

PB

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
pbercker

Reply with quote  #4 
this is quite a minor point, but it now makes sense to me as to what the musicking website was driving at with "start 2nd" above. The whole point was that he was under the impression that it was not just a tihai, but a chakradhar tihai, which has a tihai within a tihai, with the last tihai (the 9th one) ending on sam. And indeed his scheme above would work out fine. You play the whole thing a second time, and then a 3rd time and that time the small phrase (dha - ti dha...) will end on sam. It's easy to see from the numbers. The main portion is 28 beats and the three short phrases take up ten beats (including the pauses) each except for the final one which will take 8 beats and end on sam.

(28 + 10) + (28 + 10) + (28 +8) = 112 = 16 * 7

i.e. the whole thing will take up 7 cycles of 16 beats.

Except of course that it was not meant to be a chakradhar tihai. The Austin database has the tihai and the "x 3" is clearly meant to apply justto the phrase "dha - ti| dha -", and not to the entire thing!

As I said, quite a minor point, but it's been bugging for some time now. It's a puzzle no longer.

Pascal

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.