Indian Music Forums
Register Calendar Latest Topics Chat

Poll Results

Are his jawari descriptions acurate?
 Yes 0 0%
 No 3 100%
Total votes: 3   Please or register an account to vote.

Author   Comment  
Kirya

Reply with quote  #1 
This is an article that is interesting but I think he has the bridge descriptions wrong?

From everything I understand, he has them associated the wrong way -- the curve on the bridge is for open jawari?

Kind of a strange and overly provocative title for the post as well:
https://sitartube.blogspot.nl/2017/08/the-shocking-difference-between-pt.html

nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #2 
The article is interesting, although reads with that all-too-familiar tone of a partisan in the gharana wars. 

The point on the bridge descriptions I'm not sure I would disagree with, not from experience or proper knowledge, but a basic/rudimentary idea of physics...the diagram he shows for GP/closed jawari is obviously extreme and exaggerated.  But the idea makes sense to me...a flatter bridge face with less of a curve will cause the string to break from the face of the jawari over a broader distance, with less of a distinct break point, and just a gradual, mushy departure from the bridge...giving you the classic open sound with "sitar buzz".  A curved jawari, or a jawari that is flat but then curves abruptly away from the string...would give you a shorter distance where the string was just starting to separate from the jawari face...think of the extreme example, a jawari curved like this:  ˄  (Sorry, I use what I can pull from charmap...) such a sharp curve that the string breaks at a dramatic angle from the surface, and you'd get no buzz and it would essentially function like a normal guitar, violin, or sarod bridge...clean, clear closed type tone.  The flatter jawari that slopes more gradually away from the string will give more of an open buzz sound to my mind...there's a longer stretch of string where the jawari and string are almost parallel but beginning to separate.

So when you have a closed jawari...and the strings start to wear a groove into the jawari...its really flattening the jawari (at least in the groove) and then you start to get the buzz.  Had that happen on a studio sitar jora a long time ago.  Groove developed and it was a complete buzzsaw.

But I defer to those (pretty much everyone here) with more experience and knowledge, just surmising...
barend

Reply with quote  #3 
This article from this topic mentiones the difference in frets but doesn't really explain it in detail. Can someone explain the advantages of the VK frets? They are more curved on the taraf pegs side and more flat on the other side. Is it better or easier for meends? Do they have more meend range? And do all VK style sitars have them nowadays or only RR sitars? Can they be used on a RS style sitar as well or do they mess up the intonation of the bass strings?

I mean the fret 2 in the article below (scroll down to about the middle of the page). Or are these frets different from what the article from the OP mentiones?
http://www.sitarfactory.be/projects/hybrid-sitar-a-real-guitar-sitar/
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.