INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
leanse

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi.

I'm interested in having a new set of tablas made by an Indian master builder.

On this forum I've seen great things said by very satisfied customers of both Upendra and Somnath Kakade.

My question is, can anyone comment on the differences between their tablas (i.e., the tone of dayan, baya, or both; or other aspects of their instruments)? How about the differences in how the work with their customers? (Or, if you just have experience with one of them, what you think about that one relative to other tablas and makers you may have played or heard along the way.)

Also, if anyone knows of other master tabla makers to consider, and whom you would like to compare with the tablas of Upendra and Kakade, that would also be great to know.

Understand; I have the highest respect for each of these builders. I'm not looking for negatives, I am looking for the legitimate differences between them, to help me decide who to go with.

Thanks in advance...
Barnaby

Reply with quote  #2 
I can only comment on my experience with Upendra, which was overwhelmingly positive. He answered every inane question I had, was professional, and made sure to meet my needs. My set sounds beautifully (when I actually play a bol correctly...), and I would not hesitate to order from him again. I cannot compare his set to others, as this is the only one I have ever heard in person. But, I do know that when I listen to recordings of other sets, mine often has the better sound. Granted you can only tell so much when you're not in person, but I know I got a great sounding set, that I didn't get bent over for in price. You would not be disappointed in anyways if you got a tabla from Upendra. Now If I could only get more free time to practice.. :wink:
leanse

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks, Barnaby. It's great to hear about your experiences with Upendra. I'm sure his reputation is well-deserved.
Mr B

Reply with quote  #4 
Bump ^^
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.