INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
TCPerez

Reply with quote  #1 
Just got my sitar from Lars a couple of days ago Really lovely instrument...
But back to the topic: I've been doing a lot of playing, and the baj string is starting to get sort of gunky. Whats the best way to clean the strings?
fossesitar

Reply with quote  #2 
Use the oil you use for your fingers and a clean soft cloth, or fine steel wool. Be careful not to get any oil on the bridge, it is OK and maybe helpful if a little oil gets on the frets. My preferred oil is OLIVE OIL, which is the only oil I have used which never gets sticky after being on the string for a while. Fine steel wool is OK to use to polish the frets a little as well.
CheesecakeTomek

Reply with quote  #3 
A good habit is to keep a nice cloth in your practice area and just wipe down any strings that you touched while playing once you have finished. Then give each fret a good wipe as well. It all just takes a minute and it keeps everything nice and clean!
TCPerez

Reply with quote  #4 
Alright, thank you both
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #5 
This isn't the best way, but if the crud already is there, what I do is just pincer the string in between two fingernails and run up and down the length...takes off some of the gunk. Using steel wool (best use a very small bit just for manageability) would also work. Of course, wiping the strings down after each session is the ounce of prevention (vs pound of cure).
povster

Reply with quote  #6 
Definitely wiping the strings after playing is a good habit. User a cloth (I have a dinner napkin I reserve for this purpose) but you want to pinch the cloth between two fingers and run that up/down the strings. You want to envelope the whole string in the cloth. (I have seen some people just run the cloth along the top of the string.)

Thing is you get residual "gunk" all over the string, including the underside, and you want to get it all off.

OM GUY

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "TCPerez"
Just got my sitar from Lars a couple of days ago Really lovely instrument...
But back to the topic: I've been doing a lot of playing, and the baj string is starting to get sort of gunky. Whats the best way to clean the strings?
met-all.com

I use this polish on just about every thing. The Met-All folks have numerous polishes, I use the one for aluminum, as it cleans and polishes without using grits.

It's like Brasso, except it's like pink pudding. I use it on my frets while changing strings, I periodically use it on my baj. Even though I wipe my frets and strings down every time I play, gunk is still bound to build up. Just a small amount on a cotton ball will do.

If this stuff is good enough for the aircraft industry, it's good enough for me and my girls.

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.