INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
PaulZ

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello ya'll!

I need to sell this vintage Rikki Ram sitar, it has the old gold sticker and in great shape... classic swirl pegs, all buttons peg intact! Nice big main tumba.
$2000 obo... call me or email if interested please. I just took pics but having some issues with getting them, will post em soon.

I also have a used Hiren Roy probably about 10-15 years old in great shape with a Pick up the World PU installed (these are the best pickups I've ever heard for sitar) and you cannot even see the pickup, very stealthy professional install under the bridge and into the tumba. This is a great instrument if you play with other musicians and wont to avoid micing issues you can go straight into a PA and compete with drumset or whatever and the sound quality is amazing!

I will post pics of this instruments later.

Paul Livingstone (323) 899 0704
paulzlivingstone@gmail.com
http://www.tanpura.com
PaulZ

Reply with quote  #2 
Hello I just uploaded a video of me playing this Rikki Ram... it's got a great tone and plays wonderfully.
enjoy... paul livingstone

Check out video here!

cwroyds

Reply with quote  #3 
Just to add my two cents.
I played this sitar this weekend and LOVED it.
It is a stately older RR with a wonderful tone.
The Jawari was open and gave it a very lively, sparkly sound.

It looked to be a very well made RR.
All the details are nicely executed.
The decoration of the Ghullu seemed to be bone pieces rather than celluloid. (Old school quality).
The tabli is a lovely piece of wood.
The carving on the tabli is very nice.

Bottom line is that this sitar is great fun to play, and it has a mature sound that still has a lot of life in it.
I would think this to be an awesome instrument for someone.
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #4 
Nice video, great playing, and beautiful sitar! I'm enough of a beginner to not really know for sure but that tone (or playing, or a combination of both) just absolutely screams Ravi Shankar. When I'm immersed in Imdadkhani playing for a few weeks, and I hear an open jawari instrument like this, it almost sounds like another instrument or style of music altogether (different but equally lovely). Good luck with your sale!
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #5 
Paul is a current disciple of Pandit Ravi Shankar so it is not surprising that you hear the influence of Raviji in his playing.
This sitar has a nice very open jawari, so it does have a lovely Raviji-esque sound to it.
That is one of the things I liked about it when I played it.
Raviji has been using Rikhi Ram sitars ever since his Nodu/Kanai Lal sitars were retired.

By the way, he also has a nice Hiren Roy & a cool old RKS for sale.
The Hiren is a lovely sitar that is well played in.
Would be a great sitar for someone who needs to upgrade.
The RKS is an older one from before they went mass production.
It has a beautiful tabli, extremely clean carving, and a sweet tone.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.