INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Zeugitai

Reply with quote  #1 
The most standout aspect of Indian Classical Music, to my ears, since I first heard it decades ago, has been what I am calling the 'chords'. I know that this is not the correct term, but it approximates. I am referring to the set of sympathetic strings on the sarangi, or dilruba, esraj, taus, sitar, etc, which is tuned to the raag/raga that is being played. When the player strums those strings, I am transported. I am here to plead with the knowledgeable to tell me how, for example, Rag Lalit is tuned on that set of sympathetic strings? For example, how Ramesh Mishra tuned for Raag Jog here:
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #2 
For Raag Jog on sitar it would be something like - S n S g G M P N S g G
Basically, it is just all the notes of the raga. 

Zeugitai

Reply with quote  #3 
Thank you! I'll play with this and see what I get. Appreciated!
barend

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeugitai
The most standout aspect of Indian Classical Music, to my ears, since I first heard it decades ago, has been what I am calling the 'chords'. I know that this is not the correct term, but it approximates. I am referring to the set of sympathetic strings on the sarangi, or dilruba, esraj, taus, sitar, etc, which is tuned to the raag/raga that is being played. When the player strums those strings, I am transported. I am here to plead with the knowledgeable to tell me how, for example, Rag Lalit is tuned on that set of sympathetic strings? For example, how Ramesh Mishra tuned for Raag Jog here:

That's a fairly dissonant tuning for raag Jog there! It's because raag Jog has both komal and shud Ga. So in western terms it is both major and minor. The tuning is a bit odd in that video but I like it!
Zeugitai

Reply with quote  #5 
Yes, I love this one. Every time I hear it strummed, I get chills. It is profound.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.