INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
cabernethy

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi All,

I Hope everyone is well. Could you please let me know if is acceptable to perform a da/ra/da cominbation on the chikaris ?

I thinking specifically during Jhalla where the stroke is 1 hit of the main string followed by 3 on the chikaris.

Wondering whether the up stroke on the chikaris is OK or whether it should only be downs (which would break the da must follow ra rule..... :? )

Also is this down to a gharana choice or technical etc.

Many thanks,
Carl
coughcapkittykat

Reply with quote  #2 
I know Indrajit Banerjee teaches that you can play da ra on the chikari although I don't think I've seen many other people using it.
Lars

Reply with quote  #3 
Yes Indrajit teaches that way BUT he can do it just as fast the traditional way so the sense is not to do it as a cop-out but to enhance the interplay between baaj and chikari using similar bols/strokes. A lot of practice is necessary and then sort of a relaxation when trying to apply the technique otherwise you'll get stuck or at least I do but I'm still a beginner. :|

Lars

Rain City Music

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Lars"to

Sounds good to me. I really enjoy doing(trying) just that, tho I too am a beginner of 18 months.

Thanks for the feedback gents

There's a clip which springs to mind 6m 39s -WOW

yussef ali k

Reply with quote  #5 
Hi. Hope this helps at this point.

Jhalla is a form commonly included in rag presentation exploring rythmic interaction possibilities of 2 of the sitar 3 string sub-sets.
As such,there are many stroke-variations qualifying as jhalla, though at the start people are given the main one (Xccc), then 2nd, then maybe some etc's of them: practical purposes.

Having said that, I don't think creativity-in-patterns is forbidden, as long it's deemed effective, i.e., people'll always dig something interesting, although they'd come 2 expect innov's mainly from trad, gharana 'stalwarts'.

R-Hand percussive techs R typical of ... PLUCKED-string inst's in 1 form or another.
Have fun.
povster

Reply with quote  #6 
Carl, my teacher explained the darada concept on the chikaris when I was taking lessons from him in the 70s. He did not use it himself but left the possibility open for me. I experimented with it but did not like the sound. I love the crispness of the dadada sound.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.