INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
SitarMac

Reply with quote  #1 
Is this guy on our forum?

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1270064591

Reply with quote  #2 
As a student of Indian Classical music, Andrew Mendelson journeys through India to compete in the largest music competition in the state of Rajasthan. Sitar in hand, he visits some of India's greatest monuments and comes face to face with the power and beauty of India and its music.

THE STORY

In the winter of 2003, Andrew Mendelson ventured to India on a musical quest. As a student of North Indian Classical Music for many years, he wanted to find where and how this tradition lives in its original cultural context, and study the music in the traditional style known as Gurukul. At the invitation of his sitar teacher, acclaimed sitarist Krishna Mohan Bhatt, he lived and studied in Jaipur for two months. On a whim he entered a local music competition and won first prize: the Sur Nur, or Light of Music, award. It turned out the Sri Mahindra Bhatt Memorial Music and Dance Competition was the largest Indian music competition of its kind in the state of Rajasthan, and he was the first American to ever compete, let alone win this prestigious award. This film follows Andrew on his return journey to India to compete for the grand prize in the tournament of champions at the competition. Along the way he will discover how North Indian Classical Music fits in a rapidly changing cultural landscape, meet the next generation of Indian musical masters, and introduce a western audience to the beauty and grandeur of this rich musical tradition.

OUR MISSION

North Indian Classical Music has a rich cultural legacy that has been passed down from generation to generation for thousands of years. This music, however, remains a mystery to most of us in the West. It has influenced modern composers across the globe, but few in the West have been exposed to its secrets and many of the great masters are retiring, some have recently passed away, threatening the passage of this great tradition. The goal of A Cricket in the Court of Akbar is to breathe life into this musical heritage. How will North Indian Classical Music exist in a world where American cultural values and modern commercial interests rule a changing India? Can the form sustain itself in the global village? A Cricket in the Court of Akbar sets out to answer these questions, while generating awareness of North Indian Classical Music in the West, demystifying its form, and introducing it to a new generation of audiences.

Find out more at http://ragamalaproductions.com

Reply with quote  #3 
i saw that on myspace too
looks really cool, i wanna hear more of him playing
sitarjunky

Reply with quote  #4 
One thing that I would love to know is - how long has this guy been playing ICM ?

all they say on the site is that he is a long-time student of North Indian Classical Music.

anyone ?

Reply with quote  #5 
He is my guru bhai

I think he has been playing for 6 or 7 years

Neel
sitarjunky

Reply with quote  #6 
well i was bold enough to email him and ask - he has been playing for 12 years out of which 9 seriously studying.

This is realy inspiring for me as a non-indian and a begginer.

another ray of light to add to the end of the neverending ICM tunnel.

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.