INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
jignesh142

Reply with quote  #1 
i read some books that changing the tonic of the instrument your are playing gives another scale, for example if i have initially tuned my instrument to kalyan scale and if i shift its tonic (i.e., sa) to ni then it will become scale of bhairavi. To explore this in more detail i have. calculated frequencies and note relation with each other, i found that some notes will become sharp or flat. Is it allowed in indian music or we need to do some adjustments to correct this while playing?
JazzMathias

Reply with quote  #2 
Different scales choose different shrutis for the notes, and here you can see which:

http://www.dharambir.com/indian-classical-music-research/the-rudiments/ancient-system-grama/

/Mathias
chrisitar

Reply with quote  #3 
Changing the sa to create different ragas becomes an issue of intervals. Many ragas have different notes but have the same intervals when the sa is changed. For example, ragas megh, malkauns, durga, bhupali, and dhani all have very different notes but the same intervals. There is a thread on here somewhere about this. Its fun to play around with the electronic tanpura and change the sa to get different ragas. The problem with the sitar is the lack of just intonation makes some of the notes slightly out of tune with a different sa than c#.
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.