INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
povster

Reply with quote  #1 
I just finished retying the frets, filing/chalking the pegs and polishing my RKS sitar. Jawari is next. It was in need of some TLC, I have been attending so much to my Hiren.

This may be obvious to many but I found a simple trick that makes changing the sympathetic strings a lot easier. You know how those rascals can slip and slide all over the place, especially when you are changing them with the frets in place and other symps string? I got a piece of typing paper and folded it lengthwise in thirds so it slips under the frets. Then just slide the symp string along the top of the paper, moving the paper down as you go. The paper "hides" the underlying strings and my life was made a whole lot easier. It also gives you a clearer picture of the string path so you don't reaize, all too late, that you lopped over one fret instead of under it. Just a wee tip.

Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #2 
"Verrrrrrry Interrresting" ! Sounds like a good idea, indeed. I'm restringing a sitar this afternoon and will give this trick a try. Thanks much!

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Sitarfixer"
"Verrrrrrry Interrresting" ! Sounds like a good idea, indeed. I'm restringing a sitar this afternoon and will give this trick a try. Thanks much!
Whoahhh! I am giving YOU tips? (My innards are dancing.)

Do let me know what you think! Hmmm - maybe 8 1/2 x 14 (legal size) paper would be even more efective than 8 1/2 x 11. 8 1/2 x 24? 36? The mind reels!

sitarman

Reply with quote  #4 
Good stuff! Hey, a post without any controversy and griping! How novel! So, any tips on not needing two arms, two legs, and Ghandi's patience when tying frets?
povster

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "sitarman"
Good stuff! Hey, a post without any controversy and griping! How novel! So, any tips on not needing two arms, two legs, and Ghandi's patience when tying frets?
See the new wonder that is Fret Tying.

Dan_Sitar

Reply with quote  #6 
[size=117]Part 1 : Attatching Strings to Pegs 202[/size]

Hey sitar friends,

I've got good news for all of you about a way to change sympathetics strings even in the dark !
I quote some parts of a very important tread from the old forum:

Sitarfixer, Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2004. Post subject: Attatching Strings to Pegs.
Quote:
Sounds pretty basic but -how many times have you been stabbed on the finger or hand while cranking those pegs ?

Simple solution - set the wire in the pegs hole like the tail piece of a Tanpura. Be absolutely certain the wire leaves the peg without a 180 degree bend. It must wrap around the peg shaft and then go into the peg hole before doubling back ala Tanpura tail piece.

This method works great on the taraf pegs as well. No slippage, either. I restring all my instruments this way. The other advantage with this method is that no exposed wire end is aimed down toward the neck which, if long enough, will scribe circles around the peg hole. Gotta keep these gorgeous instruments looking their best!

Just another tip to add as fodder to this essential forum. All the best. Tony Karasek
Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2004.
Quote:
Originally Posted by "K.K.
Ahhh...the cat's finally out of the bag.

Forum Members: I've been using this method for two years now, and IMO it's far superior to the old way. No more unwanted acupuncture!

A couple of tips - First; make sure the section of the string, that you bend/fold over, is not longer than the string hole in the peg or it'll stick out the other side (duh) and; after you install the string into the peg, take a pair of pliers and carefully squeeze on both sides of the string-hole. I use an old worn out pair of needle-nose for this so it doesn't mark up the peg.

This pushes the string-locking-loop (for lack of better term) into the hole so it's not sticking out, which makes inserting the tarb pegs effortless, and on the pegs with thick bronze/brass strings, creates a cleaner appearance.

Tony, you'll be pleased to know that, since you invented this method, it is still exclusively being used on all of Guruji's and Anoushka's instruments.

Now you've got to tell the forum members why/how you came up with this method in the first place.

"Come on Uncle Tony, tell us the story again, pleeeeze..."
strdap Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2004.
Quote:
hi-ya Tony,,,
Can you post a diagram/illustration of this method? Thanks,,,,,,
Jeff
Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2004. Post subject: diagram
Quote:
Originally Posted by "K.K.
Hi All:
I forgot how to attach an image with this reply, so if anyone is interested in a diagram of this string attachment method, just email me at: ....

K.K.
I've replied to this tread (after corresponding with K.K. by email)
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Dan_Sitar"
K.K. asked me to put the diagram up on my web site to make it available to this forum. Guess what... It is still waiting there for anyone to pick it up. I've added some colors making it easier to see it in 3D.
http://dan-bourdon.com/String-to-peg_t.gif Click on image to view the full size.

Tony, you might want to take a copy of this version as well.
Later on (no date)
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Sitarfixer"
Hi, Dan. Exactly right! Nice coloring. I've duely right clicked this for my archives. Thank you for making this diagram available. Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Dan_Sitar"
You're welcome Sitarfixer. Thanks to you to have posted that topic in the first place.
This also demonstrates to you, Sitarfixer, that your technical expertize is well received and appreciate in this forum's community, especially to those who never went to India. So you and other Indians are like first hand reporters to them.
Like I've mentioned before, whoever have some diagrams to share with this great forum, I'll be happy to host them on my server so anyone can view and save them. Just email to:

Dan_Sitar at dan-bourdon dot com

(writen this way to fool the robots that love to collect email adresses for the spammers).
Following:[list]
  • [size=117]
  • [*]Part 2 : String under the frets: it's easy!
  • [*]Part 3 : No more "Broken string again!"[/size]
  • [/list]
    Dan_Sitar
    element-82

Reply with quote  #7 
    thanks dan_sitar for posting this. I tried this a while ago but it didn't make sense, the pic clarifies everything.

I've seen this called "tonyK no owy technique"
    Pb

Dan_Sitar

Reply with quote  #8 
    [size=117]Part 2 : String under the frets: it's easy![/size]

Hey sitar friends,

Here's my technique :

Material:
    You need to get an electric wire with its insulation.[list=a]
  • [*]Make a big loop and bend the wire at the loop to make like the letter [size=125]T[/size]. That part will be the handle.
  • [*]Take off just enough insulation at the other end to make a hook like the letter [size=125]J[/size] which will grab the string. The direction of the hook should go upward when the [size=125]T[/size] is sitting flat on a table.
  • [/list]
    Technique (with a roll of the string):[list=1]
  • [*]Make the loop and hook it up grossly to the anchor of the symp. strings. 'Grossly' just for mesurement purpose.
  • [*]As you unroll the string, pass it over the bridge, over the frets to the one over the eyelet. Than continue to the estimated length from the eyelet to the outside of the neck PLUS a bit more than the length of that peg. Cut it there.
  • [*]Thread that end through the eyelet and tie it up to the peg as described in "Part 1".
  • [/list]
    Now comes the clever fun part...[list=1]
  • [*]• Take your new tool (electric wire) with the hook end going upward not to scratch the small bridge and the wood.
  • [*]• Pass it under the main bridge, over the small bridge than under the frets till you reach the eyelet.
  • [*]• Cross it over the fret behind it and under the next one. This is to make sure the electric wire will not tangle (mix) with the other strings. Leave it there for now.
  • [*]• Unhook the loop from the anchor of the symp. strings.
  • [*]• Pull gently the peg away from the sitar untill the loop reaches the eyelet. Be very carefull not to create a bend !
  • [*]• Grab the loop with the long hook and pull it all the way under the bridge than hook the loop to the anchor. That would bring the peg closer to the neck.
  • [/list]
    Following: Part 3 : No more "Broken string again!"

Dan_Sitar
    Dan_Sitar

Reply with quote  #9 
    [size=117]Part 3 : No more "Broken string again!"[/size]

Hey sitar friends,

Here's an email I've received from AJ aka Annieji concerning another tread of the old forum: "The Curse of the Breaking Tarib Strings". I didn't save that tread, but her email describes the basics.
    Quote:
    Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005
    Objet: tarib diagram
    Parts: 2 tarafs.jpg image/jpeg 21.61 KB

Dan

Here's the tarib diagram I sent Tommy........go ahead and put it on your server if you want : )

See ya!
    Annieji
    I've joined the 2 pics together (wrong & good methods) and colored them:
    http://dan-bourdon.com/tarafs_t.jpg Click on image to see the full size.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by "Annieji"
    Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005
    Objet: tarib diagram

Dan,

I really like what you did with it.......when a person just glances at it without knowing the topic or whatever ("
    The Curse of the Breaking Tarib Strings" lol), it's kinda hard to know what it's about...........this is what my dear friend wrote me, along with sending me that diagram many moons ago.......
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by "Annieji's
    heres why your tarafs dont tune easy and break all the time.

solution : pull some of the string from the top out AFTER you put back the peg and then roll it back so it ends up straight under the little hole where it comes in from the top, get it ?

Simple or what ?
    [size=92]
    And it IS simple! Never have had another one break since, even one that got kinked pretty bad (it was a pyramid though, and I held it pretty firmly upright going into the mogra until all the slack was gone like he'd also told me, I thought it'd break for sure but never did)

Yes, use the diagram you updated, it's much easier for people to get the just of it without dialog........altho if I hadn't been having such a time (especially with that ONE tarib, whew!), I could've looked at that and had it go right by my noggin'....!

Aw, it doesn't really matter where the diagram originated from (not me really, since a good & dear friend sent it, I don't know where he got it either, it could well be something he drew or had had passed onto him, I never asked him!). Just that it's there to help people seems to be the most important thing!

Really glad you have those diagrams up where folks can get to them! I very much like the javari ones, as well!

Good deal, Dan!
    Thanks!

AJ aka Annieji
    [/size]
    • • • Be very carefull not to create a bend during the entire process !!! • • •

I add to this technique:
    [list=1]
  • [*]The string should be the shortest possible but long enough to pull the entire peg outside the neck. This is for maintenance of the tip of the peg without having to unattach the string from it.
  • [*]While turning the peg, keep a small tension to the string by holding it right over the eyelet:[list=a]
  • [*]Grab the string between the frets on each side of the eyelet with a shorter version of our hook (see Part 2: "Material")
  • [*]Hold the string by skeezing it with the tip of the tumb & index. The string should make a nice & smooth curve between them.
  • [*]Make sure the string is NOT skeezed between the fingers and the frets. That would make the string to memorise the coil type effect you just induced to it, duh!
  • [/list]
  • [*]Align the skeezing so the string is right & straight over the eyelet (barely touching the ring).
  • [*]Now turn the peg while keeping a constant small tension till you cannot hold it anymore.
    If you need more than half a turn, push the peg in so it won't turn back while you take a new grip to the peg. Do so without releasing the tension you apply with the other hand. Tip - I twist my arm before gripping to the peg allowing me to make a full turn !

(If you release that tension from the holding the string or from the peg turning back on its own, do NOT continue further. You have to pull back the string and start from the begening).
  • [*]Push the peg in and if necessary, place the string in the proper slot of the bridge.
  • [*]Pull back the peg so it can turn easy, than turn it till it's about in tune.
  • [/list]Note:
    I don't push the peg all the way in during that step because that will make the peg more slippery. I push it tigth only once the string is about in tune. Than I fine-tune it.
    Have fun!

Following
    (as soon as I draw it) :
    A diagram of holding the string right over the eyelet

Dan_Sitar
    Previous Topic | Next Topic
    Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.