INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Neal

Reply with quote  #1 
any special ' be aware of's ' before i attempt this?
Neal :?:
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi, Neal.
Scroll down about 3" on the screen with all the topics. You'll see one with everything you need to know. Cheers and good luck!

Reply with quote  #3 
It will read something like this:

You can use either a good size safety pin or an oversized paperclip to do the stab and wiggle thing as well as a jewelers needle file or similar. Odds are the eyelet will shatter. Be prepared. There are two versions of eyelet hole I've encountered. 1. - the hole goes all the way through the neck and 2. - there is a shelf of wood 1/2 way down the hole that the bone bit sits on. My experience is that the shelf type doesn't hold the bone bit in place nearly as well. If you see such a blockage, drill that dog outta there. Next step - take a small file that has a "tang" (tapered end bit of the file that jams into the file handle). Use that "tang" as a hole reamer and gently "let me stress that in no uncertain terms """ GENTLY """ "" ream the eyelet hole leaving a bit of a taper. No you've got something the new bone bit can snuggle into and stay put once glued. Now, take a slightly larger drill bit, say around 3/16" - 1/4" and while holding the drill bit tip onto the eyelet hole, hand twist said bit until a little bone dust appears. Be careful!!! Don't let the bit tip skid across the neck surface!!! This action will countersink the hole rim. Doing so allows a gentler bend of the taraf string as it goes down into the eyelet. Tuning higher and lower on that string will weaken the string at that bend. Reducing the sharpness of the bend this way increases string life. One more thing to check. The alignement of the strings. Does the new eyelet get in the way of the next longer string down the neck?? Does the string coming out of the new eyelet crash into the next eyelet going up to the bridge?? Adjust accordingly. You may have to take a jewelers riffle file (dogleg bend for accessability) and file some of the outer rim of the eyelets that are in the way. The extreme adjustment would be to take an Xacto saw blade and cut and off-center slot on the eyelet rim for the string to sit in so that it clears its neighbor. All in all, not a complex job but as with all work performed, wash hands, talk gently to your sitar and do the job with great care and no distraction. Cheers!

Reply with quote  #4 
Much thanks Sir Tony!
Neal
Neal

Reply with quote  #5 
Hi Tony,
Well, what I found was that the gromett was not budging. I took a dremel with small file grinding tip in order to carefully grind out the remaining bone piece. What finally!!! loosened it up was the heat generated by the dremel which melted the glue. That's a nasty and tricky little repair. Long story short. Old gromett out. New gromett in. Whew!
Neal
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.