INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
barend

Reply with quote  #1 
I am playing kharaj/pancham sitar for many years. But I always preferred the VK style taraf tuning with the lowest/first five taraf strings tuned as NDSSR (and so on till high Ga). Always liked that left hand pinky taraf strum/picking and I also do some scalar left hand arpeggio things with the left hand pinky playing D and N taraf separately.

But I was watching Nikhil Banerjee again and noticed that he plays a lot with left hand pinky on the lowest/first taraf which is tuned to Sa. He does that really a lot in alap. Almost every 5 seconds or so. So after many years I tried this tuning SNSSR. And I must say I like it. Now I can't play the D with my left hand pinky anymore but I can play both N and S separately with the pinky. The S pinky makes it more 'in tune' with the raag than the N so you can use it more often without disturbing the mood too much.

What do you think or prefer and why?
Blind Lemon Mike

Reply with quote  #2 
Interesting... I'm not really on the level to concerned about this things but anyway. 

Depends on the Raga? For Ragas where N is strong it should be better suited then others i guess. 

What about Tabli-Strokes. I find it to be more prominent there.... 

I currently tune it Vilayat Style. It's just because I had to switch teachers since i moved and there is really just no one else around, so i now learn it like that. I don't mind though, actually trying out different things and even combining them seems beneficial to me... 

regards Michael
barend

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Lemon Mike
Interesting... I'm not really on the level to concerned about this things but anyway. 

Depends on the Raga? For Ragas where N is strong it should be better suited then others i guess. 

What about Tabli-Strokes. I find it to be more prominent there.... 

I currently tune it Vilayat Style. It's just because I had to switch teachers since i moved and there is really just no one else around, so i now learn it like that. I don't mind though, actually trying out different things and even combining them seems beneficial to me... 

regards Michael

Yes good point. Tabli strokes sound different when you tune the first taraf in N as opposed to S. With S it is more in harmony and with N it is more dissonant which gives another flavor.

I think when tuning in S you can use it more often without it getting annoying or overdone...

I think you have to do what you like yourself not what your teacher or gharana says. So it's OK to have VK taraf tuning when you play KP style. And the other way around too.
Tomek Regulski

Reply with quote  #4 
Can you post an example of Nikhil playing the tarab so often in alap? Is it something he does in many recordings. I've never noticed it, and that's interesting. 

I've favored SNSSR, throwing in a variant such as SDNSR here and there, but have kept S at the end as that's what has suited my ears. 100% guided by what I find to support the raga, which in all honesty, has led me to fold up a nice handkerchief and mute the whole lot of them for much of the last few years. The uncolored resonance of the main strings and chikari on a good instrument is exquisite (again, to my ears). 

That said - this last week I've started bringing the tarabs back into the mix, and of course it's lovely, so we'll see. 
barend

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomek Regulski
Can you post an example of Nikhil playing the tarab so often in alap? Is it something he does in many recordings. I've never noticed it, and that's interesting.

Check the video in the opening post of the third finger topic. Was playing along with that this week and that's when I noticed he is using that a lot. Almost between every phrase. There are some good close ups in there. Between 15:00-17:00 for example. I think he does it on all recordings.
Tomek Regulski

Reply with quote  #6 
Oh super - yeah, can't miss it once you see it. That's a really nice addition to the texture. 
barend

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomek Regulski
Oh super - yeah, can't miss it once you see it. That's a really nice addition to the texture. 

Yes I agree. It really opens up some nice new uses of the left hand pinky strum. Especially if you combine it with chikari strokes. I am keeping this tuning for now.

The DN has a more 'chordal' colored vibe to it which I like but the SN is more in harmony and has other and maybe more possibilities
Blind Lemon Mike

Reply with quote  #8 
He does it on alot of recordings indeed. 

do you grow a nail on your left pinky for this? 

I can't since i also play guitar. I also do this with the mizrab, hitting the taraf string with the right hand. 

Anotherone that comes to mind how very often strikes the taraf is Mita Nag (and i guess to a lesser extent Manilal Nag). But she strikes at least the last 3 or so strings....

it's quite apparent in this video... 

regards Michael. 
barend

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Lemon Mike
He does it on alot of recordings indeed. 

do you grow a nail on your left pinky for this? 

I can't since i also play guitar. I also do this with the mizrab, hitting the taraf string with the right hand. 

Anotherone that comes to mind how very often strikes the taraf is Mita Nag (and i guess to a lesser extent Manilal Nag). But she strikes at least the last 3 or so strings....

it's quite apparent in this video... 

regards Michael. 

Yes I saw that video before. I really like it! Those in between taraf strums sound nice. That's something that Ravi Shankar also does all the time.

A few observations on that video:
-She is using an extra Re fret. Ashok Pathak is doing the same.
-She plays a lot with two fingers in one fret. Pretty common on wider frets but she does it also on higher frets like middle Ma and pa for example.
-And oops there is the forbidden third finger again!! [smile] Most apparent from 18:00 on.

Thanks for posting that video. Keep em coming.
Blind Lemon Mike

Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by barend

Thanks for posting that video. Keep em coming.

alright then...[smile]

Shahid Parvez. He tunes N D S R G ....etc

His Sitar has a little thing (don't know the name for this, not a native speaker...) that keeps the Sa-Taraf String further away from the other. That enables him to do those pattern that you can hear right in the beginning of the video... 

He also almost strikes the N-Taraf together with the chikaris ( with Ga in this case...) before a lot of phrases during alap. 

regards Michael

barend

Reply with quote  #11 
ok, yes I know his tuning. That's how I tuned for many years until two weeks ago. Cool stuff! That beginning is really very nice. I have that little thing on my sitars as well. So I can play two tarafs separate with my pinky like SP does. Thanks again for the video!

I don't have a fingernail on my left pinky by the way. Can't have it because I also play guitar and bass a lot.
But you don't really need it to do the pinky picking thing.
tuf45198@temple.edu

Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by barend
ok, yes I know his tuning. That's how I tuned for many years until two weeks ago. Cool stuff! That beginning is really very nice. I have that little thing on my sitars as well. So I can play two tarafs separate with my pinky like SP does. Thanks again for the video!

I don't have a fingernail on my left pinky by the way. Can't have it because I also play guitar and bass a lot.
But you don't really need it to do the pinky picking thing.

I was just watching this video in awe.  Do you know where or who to go to get that taraf modification?
barend

Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuf45198@temple.edu

I was just watching this video in awe.  Do you know where or who to go to get that taraf modification?

It's very easy to make. Just take a small piece of bone or plastic and drill a small hole 1cm to right between the first two taraf strings. Just place the little piece there and you are done.
tuf45198@temple.edu

Reply with quote  #14 
I shutter at the idea of me taking a sharp object within 3 ft. of my sitar 😄.  Appreciate the information barend!  
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.